Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Lycra Shorts for CP

(7 Posts)
isw Thu 22-Sep-11 18:10:47

Hi,
DD's physio has recommended some lycra shorts to help prevent her from scissoring when using her reverse walker. Unfortuately she doesnt have any funding for them. The LA only funds lycra suits for complex needs. To buy privately will cost about £150. Has anyone applied for lyrca funding? Any ideas of who to approach?
Thanks

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Thu 22-Sep-11 19:48:20

is it something the family fund would help with?

madwomanintheattic Thu 22-Sep-11 19:51:46

<sigh> i don't understand this, it's postcode lottery again. dd2 has cp and her suits were funded. does the physio not have any ideas who will fund herself? often they know locally who are the best charitys, but a lot are means tested.
<cross for you>

isw Thu 22-Sep-11 20:23:38

Hi Madwoman yep postcode lottery, I have a friend down south whose son couldnt get a suit because they wouldn´t fund for sensory needs only supportive. sigh I think I am going to try rotary club in the first instance
How did ur dd get on btw?

isw Thu 22-Sep-11 20:24:52

Ninja - I was saving family fund for something bigger in the future also whizz kids in case we want to get a fancy manual or electric wheelchair in a couple of years

madwomanintheattic Thu 22-Sep-11 22:45:14

we had a full suit rather than shorts (but it went down to her knees) and was actually quite helpful in terms of sitting stability and balance (the feedback thing i think), but she's been a bit of trial from a resp pov and it made her cough a lot (i think feeling pressure on her chest iyswim - not actual pressure, but 'feeling' restricted but she couldn't cough properly, becasue they are very restrictive. can't explain it very well! anyway, we had two in succession, but then it was hot summer and so we didn't bother, and the following winter she was a lot steadier anyway... they were funky lilac wink i think it was remembering to put the suit on first and then her pants that confused nursery - the whole toileting idea was much easier without it too!

HairyMaclary Fri 23-Sep-11 09:59:35

We've also had excellent results with lycra - we had a full suit, long arms and legs - it was great, but funded by the PCT.

Have you tried Cerebra? They may be able to help and sometimes have quite a quick turn around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now