Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

PORIC teaching method / ABA / SALT

(10 Posts)
JoMaman Thu 22-Sep-11 13:46:55

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone is using PORIC method for teaching concepts to their child? If so have any of you had good success? Our consultant likes this method but I'm finding it a bit counter intuitive so far. There is an intro to it on here:
www.cheerfulpublications.co.uk/cheerbookspor.htm

My main issue is that PORIC is supposed to teach concepts in the typical developmental sequence and you can't move on until you've got beyond the first stage, which for Ds1 is learning what "not" means. This means we can't work on adjectives but I know that he understands them, like if I show some pictures and one has a snowman and I say "where is cold" he points to the snowman. he's finding the "not" part really abstract and it is frustrating him that he doesn't get what he's supposed to do, and in the meantime we aren't capitalising on stuff he's interested in and finds easy/rewarding, like the adjectives stuff.

Hope this makes sense to somebody out there!

JoMaman Fri 23-Sep-11 17:31:42

bump?

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 23-Sep-11 20:14:10

Sorry Jo I don't know anything about this, but I do know that if what you are doing isn't getting results then you should probably look at your own practice/methodology, and that might mean trying something different.

I do think 'not' is pretty important though. Are you going basic enough. Are you using things that he already knows, like colours? 'which one is NOT red from a field of 3 with physical promoting etc?

moondog Fri 23-Sep-11 20:17:45

Ann Locke is a pretty respected person in this field (althoguh that website is a shocker but no matter-some of the most brilliant peopel out there, like Zig Engelmann and Michael Maloney have terrible websites too)

Who is using this?
Can you be clearer?

Are yoo using ABLLS or VB Mapp?

JoMaman Fri 23-Sep-11 22:13:31

hi,

thanks for the replies!

star - we are going v basic, using words he definitely knows, e.g. we get 3 cups and a spoon, and go "cup", "cup", "cup", "NOT cup" when pointing to them. The eventual goal is to say "give me cup" (he gives you one of the cups) and then you say "give me NOT cup" and he gives you the spoon. He can do the first part, but when you say "NOT cup", he just seems to hear "cup" and gives you one of the cups. I tried it with my NT 2yrold and it took him a while to cotton on to what was required, and then he ran around for half an hour with the spoon shouting "not cup" - seems like it can lead to more confusion?!?

Moondog - we have a fab VB consultant and she uses this method to teach concepts on all her programmes. We use VB MAPP for his programme.

My reservation with this method is that "give me NOT cup" is not something anyone would ever say - I would prefer a more natural question, like "which one is not a cup?", maybe I should try this out, even though it seems like a bit too much language for him... thanks for the suggestions

moondog Sat 24-Sep-11 10:03:49

Oh ok, it seems you are working with someone who has appropriate background. Always good to hear of ABA people accessing established s/lt programmes.

This concept is key and vital to learn and many many children have trouble with it.

I might consider wording it differently
''Show me the one that is not a cup'

Teaching of this is a key feature of the ABA based reading programme Headsprout but he may not be ready for this yet, but certainly worth discussing and reviewing with your consultant.

I have also used TAGteach very successfully to teach this concept (see below for posts on imminent TAGteach training) but it requires background knowledge and very careful planning

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 24-Sep-11 22:27:57

Do you use errorless learning?

JoMaman Sun 25-Sep-11 20:57:54

hi - yes we do errorless learning. I've been trying the "show me the one that is not a cup" phrase but so far no luck. The consultant advised we just go back to input, demonstrating it to him but expecting nothing from him. I'll take a look at Headsprout too, but it seems he can sight read (!?) so I'm not going to worry about reading for a while yet. thanks for answering.

oodlesofdoodles Sun 25-Sep-11 21:07:08

It sounds really interesting JoMaman. Excuse my ignorance but is a VB consultant a SALT or an ABA? My DS really needs to work on the basics, his language is so garbled.

JoMaman Mon 26-Sep-11 06:24:54

Hi oodlesofdoodles,
VB stands for verbal behaviour which is a type of ABA. My ds has virtually no expressive spoken language, and there are bizarre gaps in his understanding (like the 'not thing and also he can't follow instructions that contain two info carrying words). We've found that a combination of SALT and ABA has worked best so far, with the SALT having input into the programme, but it has been hard to find SALTs that want to work on an ABA prog and even when they do there can be differences of opinion as to what is the best way to achieve the goals [tired of being the referee emoticon] hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now