Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

wellie boots!! supportive?? where?

(13 Posts)
lisad123 Tue 20-Sep-11 16:47:39

DD2 has hypomobility aswell as autism. Physio told us to ensure she is always in supportive shoes and pilmsoles and wellies were a no no. DD2 is upset that she cant be like the other children in nursery who wear wellies for outdoor play in the rain.
Im not sure if anyone can recommend a pair of good waterproof boots or wellies please

NormalServiceWillResumeShortly Tue 20-Sep-11 16:55:25

since we are heading into winter, what about some of the better fitting, solid winter boots?

my dc had some from Germany last year - looked like regular boots (ankle boots) but were waterproof and fur lined - very cosy and warm, and they wore them for everyday wear as well as for making snowmen etc.

I'd recommend going to a good independent shoe shop, and asking what their winter boot selection is like - geox, or ecco should have some good waterproof ones.

lisad123 Tue 20-Sep-11 17:00:00

im wondering if these will give enough support? they look study and had the back part we check for on every pair of dd's boots here

madwomanintheattic Tue 20-Sep-11 17:31:25

they won't actually fit though. wellies don't hug the foot and provide the ankle support that kids with low tone need.

tbh we do occasionally put dd2 into wellies, but it's a nightmare - the idea of running and splashing in the rain in wellies like your friends is a lovely idea - but if you aren't steady enough in wellies and can't run in them, and fall over in the puddles, or can't keep up, then it isn't as much fun as you think it's going to be. sad

i would get a pair and try them and see how she manages - but try to reinforce the idea that a pair of newer style walking boots would be a much more sensible option (dd2 has variously played out in the rain in walking boots, flowery kickers, and many many colours of piedros lol). being able to play in them is much more fun than looking like everyone else. smile if she can manage, then that's great - and i wouldn't worry - our orthotist is entriely happy that kids wear less supportive shoes for periods (bar the falling over obv) as it can help to strengthen ankles etc. but it is a balance.

(dd2 pretty much only wears her wellies - which are pink, natch) for riding now - as there's not much actual walking involved!

would def get to an indie shoe shop and try and find a halfway house. wellies are the absolute pits for wobbly kids.

madwomanintheattic Tue 20-Sep-11 17:32:29

(we buy lace-up snow boots with ankle support for proper winter btw - that elastic round the ankle will do nothing at all))

lisad123 Tue 20-Sep-11 17:38:58

i will look for some strapped walking boots (shes only 4 so laces are a PITA) but need to be cheapest possible if im going to leave them at nursery and get them very wet!

keepingupwiththejoneses Tue 20-Sep-11 18:23:53

Would these be any good.
Or how about these
Don't know a lot about hypomobility so ignore them if they are no good, just wanted to help.

madwomanintheattic Tue 20-Sep-11 18:24:52

baffin snogoose are probably the half-way house, not brill, but can at least be tightened up a little? <just trolling round amazon to see what's out there this year>

the ones with the elastic around the ankle - if you go for those you need to make sure the elastic angles down to hold the heel in place at the back of the shoe - otherwise worse than useless (in our case anyway) - and it needs to be the wide velcro fastened stuff that can be tightened - the all elastic slip on/ off versions aren't great.

i've seen some awesome ones in a kids shop here, but can't remember what they were... have got my eye on them though. will try and find out.

madwomanintheattic Tue 20-Sep-11 18:27:55

the croc ones would be rubbish grin but the other ones are worth trying i think. dd2 had some similar purple ones grin when she was 3 ish. depends how they fit round the foot though - need to be snug! (actually, those purple ones she had were pretty good - she was still falling a lot then anyway, and add in snow etc and she would have been unsteady anyway, but they were reasonable)

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Tue 20-Sep-11 19:37:26

there's some cheapish walking boots here doesn't say if they're waterproof but they do look reasonably supportive.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Tue 20-Sep-11 19:39:24

dd3 also has a pair of these, maybe cheap enough to get wet and not worry to much.

WilsonFrickett Tue 20-Sep-11 23:54:37

We have crocs and they are great because they are light and very flexible. so the ankle can bend and move more normally without 'fighting' the stiffness of the wellies IYSWIM. however DS doesn't need foot support so I don't know if they would be right for you. (in retrospect this is quite a useless post OP, SOS grin)

mycarscallednev Wed 21-Sep-11 10:48:22

Hi, we have this as my son has EDS and has dislocations if not in supportive footwear. We have been in Piedro's and are now using Nimco extra high - both prescription. Wellies are a problem so we do either gaitors from Raindrops or similar, or wellies. Our welly-boots are from Seasalt as they are rubber, and plastic, whilst more rigid make his skin break-down as they rub more. We use elasticated self adheaseive compression bandages on his knees and ankles to provide the support whilst in wellies. There isn't really much more you can do. Snow boots are good, but we found they were too stiff, in the wrong places and as the foot is unstable they created problems with blisters. I think it is very dependant on how long you think they will be in the boots/wellies and how much help they will be getting. We Home Ed because our son wasn't getting that help, but that's another story.....!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now