Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I need to shout :( and scream

(10 Posts)
1legmummy Mon 19-Sep-11 17:45:59

I have just received a call from my ds school - he is in year 8 secondary.

After 6 years of me asking they carried out a dyslexia test in June - guess what - yep he is dyslexic.

Last January we were finally told he had ADHD and this answered many questions.

Now I am mad, all those years of being told I am an over anxious Mum and nothing wrong with ds, having him peeled off me at the school gates and him crying into the night that he hates school.

I have fought with Juniors and Secondary till I am blue in the face and they only did this test to shut me up.

Any advice - I have a meeting with the professional who did the test on Wednesday. What happens now?

Thanks - just needed to rant a bit

IndigoBell Mon 19-Sep-11 18:05:37

Nothing happens by default.

You need to work out what you want to happen.

A label of dyslexia means he has trouble with reading or spelling - which you already knew he had.

So what help do you want for him?

Can he read?
Can he spell?

What would help make his life in school easier ?

BakeliteBelle Mon 19-Sep-11 18:17:13

It is such a common story - parents ignored time and time again, only to be vindicated. I would consider compartmentalising all the years of frustration into a formal complaint, worded very carefully and not too emotively.

Then move on and get people working on your side for the goal of making your son's life better.

Take advice from others though - I have never had to make a complaint to education and it might be counter-productive. In an ideal world, a complaint could make things better for the next poor fucker in danger of being trodden on

1legmummy Mon 19-Sep-11 19:08:09

Thats such a good idea, who would I write to?

GossipWitch Mon 19-Sep-11 19:38:40

1leg I had a lot of issues with how my son was being dealt with in his old school, after attending a parenting class and visiting a group i bumped into a lovely lady from parent partner ship she gave me loads of advise and even sat with me whilst his old head teacher was giving me a bollocking about being such a shit parent talking to about excluding him at lunchtimes because of his poor behaviour, she saved my life. -- and the old head teachers face-- heres the link to parent partnership they'll hopefully give you all sorts of help. www.parentpartnership.org.uk/

nickminiink Tue 20-Sep-11 13:13:23

Hi, same here my son is in year 6 and we have also just been told he is Dyslexic. I also had queried this many times and ignored, however due to his lack of progress I started on the SA road, during the EP assessment she advised to us then that my son is Dyslexic, despite the school saying he wasn't. I have a meeting with the SENCO Thursday, she has cancelled it twice becuase she know's why I am going to see her and I think she is worried about my reaction as I have been a constant thorn in her side for the last 12 months. So it's going to be an interesting meeting, obviously I would love to go in there guns blazing as I am not happy with the way they have ingored me and my concerns, but I guess that won't help. I will be glad when he leaves this school and goes to secondary school for a fresh start.

1legmummy Wed 21-Sep-11 08:31:17

I just want to take him out and put him in another school - but I know this wont help.

I am just fed up - all through Juniors they told me I was anxious and he was naughty.

I dont want excuses for his behaviour - just them to understand - he still needs to learn right from wrong.

I have a meeting at 11am with dyslexia professional to find out results then I will phone parentpartnership - thanks for all your advice.

Its disgusting that I am not on my own in this

xxx

Claw3 Wed 21-Sep-11 08:57:19

Personally i wouldnt bother with a complaint, you will just put peoples backs up and they wont want to help you. I know in an ideal world you should be able to complain and for it to have no repercussions. If you wanted to complain you should have done so before to get it recognised, not after now it has been recognised iyswim it will serve no purpose, but perhaps to make you feel better.

Try to focus on moving forward and what you want to happen from now on, Indigo questions are spot on.

1legmummy Wed 21-Sep-11 14:33:02

brilliant meeting smile I think I must be the only Mum who smiled all through her being told that ds had moderate dyslexia.

Also, she struggled to tell me that she felt we should look into ADHD. Bless her - they had not told her he had inattentive ADHD.

He is 12 but has age 15 plus skills verbally.

Claw3 - I agree I am not going to complain - I am moving forward. It will be enough for him to show just how well he does with a little support.

I have been told he can take a netbook to school with programs which will help him so I am investigating that - also to get a special eyetest done - this is booked for Friday smile onwards and upwards.

Thanks for your support

Claw3 Wed 21-Sep-11 15:49:16

Great news for you and your ds smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now