Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Bedwetting

(9 Posts)
DietDiva Mon 19-Sep-11 11:57:17

DS age 9 has never been dry at night. Usually soaks the bed three times each night. We have tried meds, drinking more during the day to sretch bladder, measuring urine and everything else through the enuresis clinic but nothing has worked.

This makes DS really sad so I thought I'd look up some natural remedies on the internet. We tried the walnuts and raisins before bed. We've done this for just over a week now and have had two dry nights. On the nights he is still wet it isnt soaked anymore just small wet patches on the bed in the morning.

Anyway, does anyone know why this might be working? Was thinking that maybe it was a vitamin deficiency or something like that and he was getting all he needed from the walnuts and raisins.

Thanks

Triggles Mon 19-Sep-11 18:01:14

I've never heard of that. I'd be interested to know why it's making a difference. Off to browse now. LOL

DietDiva Mon 19-Sep-11 18:25:16

It comes up a lot when you search for bedwetting remedies. It sounds strange but thought it would do no harm to give it a try. When we tried the meds for a few months we didnt even manage one dry night.

Some other remedies are cranberry juice before bed or teaspoon of honey. Sounds mad but DS is 9 now and really hates wetting the bed and I dont know what else to try. Would be interesting to know if anyone else has tried this.

madwomanintheattic Mon 19-Sep-11 18:56:40

not tried it, but how odd! i wonder if it replicates the hormone in some way?

ds1 is also 9 with nary a dry night. meds don't work and he unplugs the enuresis alarm. <sigh> (he isn't reliably dry or clean in the day either, mind...)

actually, this is a good thread to ask, because i know someone in these here parts has one, but can't remember who - waterproof duvet? any recommendations? i am fed up to the back teeth of laundering the duvet as well as all the sheets etc...

it isn't just placebo effect is it? like magic pants for younger kids? <ponders>

DietDiva Mon 19-Sep-11 19:17:16

Dont think its a placebo effect but if it works then I suppose it doesnt matter. Just hope we have some more dry nights. I did read somewhere that you have to have two teaspoons of walnuts and one teaspoon of raisins - something to do with magnesium and calcium absorption but cant remember where I heard that. Thats why I thought maybe he has a vitamin deficiency.

We used to have a waterproof duvet cover bought from Argos but it was too uncomfortable so now have a couple of thin duvets which fit in the washing machine - not great but works for us. Someone on here recommended some pull-ups from BM Supplies which were great and we used those on holiday much better than the supermarket ones. DS wont wear them at home.

madwomanintheattic Mon 19-Sep-11 19:46:57

he's leaking through pull-ups sad but will check out bm supplies and see what they have. ta!

Triggles Mon 19-Sep-11 20:19:57

We use a couple thinner layers on DS2's bed, so that they're easier to wash and quicker to dry.

devientenigma Mon 19-Sep-11 22:40:54

Yes, you can get a cover thats waterproof to put your duvet in. Another good idea is to put a waterproof cover on, then a fitted sheet, then another waterproof and fitted sheet and again if needed, that way you just take off through the night rather than making the bed.
Yes I have been through this with dd for years, in fact I have just recently post about her starting again!! She stopped at about 13, now 14 we are swimming again!!
Gonna give the raisins a shot, cheers.

madwomanintheattic Tue 20-Sep-11 23:43:03

found some covers on amazon, devient. any you recommend particularly? he's a sweaty kid at the best of times so anything too plasticy is going to be nightmare (recently tried to use enuresis alarm (again) and it keeps alarming because he's so sweaty instead of weeing <sigh>)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now