Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Shopping for Dyspaxia!

(13 Posts)
lostinwales Sun 18-Sep-11 10:11:17

Morning everyone. My fabulous DS1 has Dyspraxia and following some great school intervention and a great OT has flown through the last year in primary and has started 'big school'. He had a wedge shaped 'lumpy' cushion to sit on in his old classroom and a weighted lap blanket which was discrete but effective. After a very frustrating weekend of trying to get him to do his homework (it was like trying to get a hummingbird to keep still!) I really want them for home. I have looked and looked on the net but am obviously putting in the incorrect search terms because I can't find them anywhere. Please oh experienced and intelligent women of MN can you point me in the right direction?

imnotforty Sun 18-Sep-11 10:15:41

I think the seat is called sit and move, not sure about the other thing though.

imnotforty Sun 18-Sep-11 10:17:52

www.backinaction.co.uk/move-n-sit

nearly right!

lostinwales Sun 18-Sep-11 11:06:44

Thank you so much! I am now off in what appear to be monsoon conditions to watch a football tournament, the joys of parenthood grin

imnotforty Sun 18-Sep-11 12:31:19

have fun!

ds has just started year 7, it is a nightmare trying to get him organised and sitting down doing his homework. it didn't occur to me that it was a dyspraxic thing, I thought he was just fighting against the changes.

lostinwales Sun 18-Sep-11 13:41:00

Well I can't be 100% sure but I'm blaming his inability to organise himself and sit still to do work on the Dyspraxia. That website is fantastic btw I've found a brilliant folder that looks like a file but has a cushion in it and converts into a sloped writing surface to make it easier for him smile thank you!

growlybear Sun 18-Sep-11 14:53:28

Hiya have you had a look on the fledlings website for weighted products of rompa do do weighted products but can be expensive.hth

growlybear Sun 18-Sep-11 14:53:59

and ropma

imnotforty Sun 18-Sep-11 17:36:53

lost, is your ds getting any help from school?

ds has had to produce his first real written homework this weekend. I am struggling to read it, but have no idea how bad it might be. I might take a pic actually and try and post it on here.

lostinwales Sun 18-Sep-11 19:49:13

We've had a lot of help from the primary school. They were the ones who dragged us in and forced us to agree to him seeing a paediatrician and our OT. They have taken everything on board that was suggested and bought all the kit and he went from having 1:1 to scoring 5 in two of his subjects in his SAT's.

We've agreed with the secondary school (who have been in touch since last term and yes I know how lucky we have been with schools!) to let him find his own feet yet with constant monitoring that he isn't aware of. Last term was an amazing confidence boost for him and if he can cope on his own it would be brilliant. I do think he's getting pretty fidgety at school as well as with his homework (tell me about the handwriting, it would be comical if someone didn't have to try and mark it)so I am going to get him a wedge like he had before as it really really helped. I found a brilliant one on the website you linked to disguised as an A4 file, which he says he would be quite happy to have at school, so I can't thank you enough for that link.

How much help have you had imnot?

lostinwales Sun 18-Sep-11 19:51:47

I just had a look at the handwriting, it doesn't look far off where we are now, I imagine the teachers are used to it though, the different aids can help with it. DS1 was using a computer for a while and learning typing as it was thought he would have too much trouble but he's a lot better.

imnotforty Sun 18-Sep-11 22:44:02

we've not had any help really. lots of recommendations were made but school never bothered following through with anything.

I feel completely disheartened tbh, I've tried and tried to get him help for his problems and I may as well have not bothered.

he has been failed by school, the agencies who were meant to support him and me.

lostindave Mon 19-Sep-11 08:28:35

That's so awful your poor DS! I would really push this with the new school they should have a department to help with this. Does he see a paediatrician or an OT? They should be able to give you some suggestions. Even understanding why he does what he does can help.

So for now to help with his homework I would recommend you get some sort of grip for his pens, we tried loads and in the end the best was elastic bands around where he hold the pen, this makes it easier to grip and his fingers will take longer to get tired. Get him a bobbly wedge seat, this will give him more feedback as to where he is sitting so he will need to flail around less to tell his brain where he is and a weighted blanket for his legs will do the same.

The Dyspraxia Foundation can probably help . I've got to go now as the non Dyspraxic child has suddenly anounced he has homework due in in about 30 mins grrrrrr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now