Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Friday night thread - where are you?

(61 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Sep-11 15:25:04

I only allow myself wine when you appear and I NEED wine............

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Sep-11 15:27:01

Just got through the first week, and feel like I could sleep for a week. Things are still sorting themselves out and bedding down but phew...................

bigbluebus Fri 16-Sep-11 15:30:24

Can't be wine time already can it?
Sorry, can't join you in a glass yet - got to drive 30 miles (each way) to take DD to respite for the weekend as soon as she gets home from school. Will join you in a glass later!

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Fri 16-Sep-11 15:53:30

bit early for me too but don't let us stop you smile Has your ds started school this week, can't remember if you defered in the end?

not a bad week for us, dd3 has settled really well in her new ss, she's just shattered at the end of the day! It's a long day by the time the transport has done its rounds.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Sep-11 16:00:41

yay for respite, (although aware it was probably hard to get and utterly utterly needed). Hope she has a nice time.

Children quiet here for the first time EVER! Probably up to mischief but mischief is respite right?

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Sep-11 16:01:39

I deferred school but ds is doing some ABA, which has been stressful as we have had new tutors, terms and conditions, working relationships, targets etc etc to sort out.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Fri 16-Sep-11 16:14:38

the wine will much deserved then, that sounds a lot to sort out wine

chickensaresafehere Fri 16-Sep-11 16:17:35

Will join you on the wine a little later.grin
DD's first full week,albeit until 12pm,at MS school with full time 1 to 1 has gone really well.Which is great,but still other issues to tacklehmm
Just hope dh comes home in a better mood than he did last night!!
Cheers wine

nenevomito Fri 16-Sep-11 16:18:50

Still in work so no wine here but there will be plenty later. This week has taken "interesting" to a whole new level.

IndigoBell Fri 16-Sep-11 16:19:29

I've had a bad week.

DD went back to school and failed every reading test they gave her (they tried 3 different ones!) - so school is now applying for a statement sad

I applied for a statement end of last year and got turned down, because school said she could read.

I'm really gutted. I'd rather she could read than she had a statement.

I don't exactly know what happened, but there are lots of different types of reading tests you can use to measure reading age or reading level. So the one they used last year she came out as a level 2b, whereas the 3 tests they used this year she came out as a 1b.

School are equally horrified.

But like I said, I'd rather she could read, then they were horrified and are applying for a statement.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Sep-11 16:23:08

Oh, sorry Indigo. Grrrrrrrr. If only they had listened to you in the first place eh?

IndigoBell Fri 16-Sep-11 17:00:16

I shouldn't have listened to them when they said she was a 2b grin

I didn't think she was......

lisad123 Fri 16-Sep-11 17:09:49

will join you in a massive glass once girls are in bed, been a horrible week. DD2 attacked 2 staff memebers at her ss, dd1 has told me today she's being bullied and I broke down in front of the SENCO and autistic advisory teacher yesterday blush

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Sep-11 17:17:14

LOL at autistic advisory teacher. I always did think they were a bit rigid in their outlook.

Sorry you're having a tough time too though.

lisad123 Fri 16-Sep-11 17:19:40

she was very good, and started talking about how rigid, stress and worried dd1 is in her body language, how she clearly wants to please but over and beyound the normal range and clearly is struggling. She really seemed to get it, but its horrible to hear sad

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Sep-11 17:25:54

Aw! I hope that you're right about the advisory teacher and that this means you'll get some help with her in terms of strategies.

My ds' advisory teacher's comments were always akin to being hit very gently with a wet fish. Ineffective but unpleasant. Backed heavily by her line mangers, - so you know I don't have much time for that service at all, but I am genuinely pleased if you've found a good egg.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Fri 16-Sep-11 17:26:21

Hello all. We're all coping here with our new circumstances. DS2 is still happy at school but has had a few issues on the bus home. DS1 (still very angry with his dad) is still looking out for DS2, despite getting a bit embarrassed by his behaviour. DS3 is being very philosophical about the separation, plans to ask exH for a pet! Good luck to him, I say. grin

silverfrog Fri 16-Sep-11 17:37:30

Afternoon everyone.

<phew> what a week. the dds have survived well. school still going brilliantly for both of them. I am shattered - a combination of not sleeping well, too much coursework, and getting back into the swing of the school run 35 mile round trip.

I need some rest this weekend (but will not be forthcoming, as have a charity race on Sunday - eeeek! can barely run to the end of the road), as am getting emotional. went to pick up dd2 form ehr after school club (I arrive early, due to general timings with dd1's school run) and was chatting with some other mums. school secretary turns up, got snotty about us all being htere early, and has laid down rules about next week - eg we all wait outside for children to be delivered to us. that'll be all I need as we go into winter - waiting for 30 mins outside with dd1, can see her loving that hmm

oh well.

it's a new week next week, and we'll see how that one goes

<yawn>

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Sep-11 17:39:51

btw, I'm going to make you all envy when I tell you the mischief that my kids were up to.....

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Sep-11 17:41:27

They have pulled the duvets off all the beds in the house, and they are both curled up in in the middle of their bedroom floor with them, fast asleep.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 16-Sep-11 17:42:00

So, I'm typing up the notes of ds' programme for the week, to send to our consultant.

Ineedalife Fri 16-Sep-11 18:11:05

Aah bless starlightgrin.

We have had another exhasting week. Dd3 still not coping with me looking after DGD. She did a runner on Tuseday after school and I had to shout like a fishwife across the playground to get her to stop.blush.

She has settled back into school really well so am really pleased about that.

Don't know how long its going to take her to get used to having DGD araoundsad.

signandsmile Fri 16-Sep-11 18:32:28

Hi everyone, glad to hear about yr weeks, (even the ones that were a bit crappy...)

Hi ellen really glad to hear from you.

Had a bit of a fabby week here, ds has completed first full school week, (only mornings and lunch) but that's ok. He managed to ask for a turn with someones toy today, waiting till it was his turn and gave it back, all with v little mummy input, grin. he did wet himself cos the TA forgot all the stuff I said about telling him to go, sad angry, and he was sooo upset. But at least it proved the point, and she gave him cuddles on her lap in a quiet corner till he was calm, he really likes her. grin

I had two mummies for coffee this morning, which was really nice, and got the ok for my PGCE to start next month, feel like I haven't stopped, but productive, so that feels nice

moosemama Fri 16-Sep-11 18:36:03

Ah, Starlight that is so sweet. Mine are all here - older two reading old copies of Beano and youngest creating mayhem in her own special way.

Am supposed to be making pizzas for them all, but have snuck on here instead! grin

Indigo - sorry you've had a bad week.

Lisad, I wouldn't worry about breaking down in front of them - I think they need to see it occasionally to remind them how much pressure we're under and that its love for our children that's the driving force behind us being pains in their rear ends. So sorry dd is being bullied, hope the school jumps on it immediately. Really hope the Autistic Advisory Teacher turns out to be a good 'un.

Ellen, glad things are settling down a bit for you and the boys and you're all coping with your new situation. Good to hear ds2 is happy and he has his brother looking out for him.

Silverfrog, hope you manage to get some R&R this weekend in spite of your charity race.

Its seems to have been a really hectic, full on week here.

Ds1 seems to be settling in a bit better and some of the teachers have been fantastic, going out of their way to keep a dialogue going between us and feed back anything important to me. With one notable exception, but I intend to deal with that at the start of next week.

He started cricket club this week as well and really enjoyed it. His best friend has been going for years and this is the first time he's wanted to give it a go. Best thing is, parents are allowed to go and watch - although I didn't know that until I turned up to fetch him - so I can go and see him in action and make sure everything's ok.

Had a bit of a yukky middle of the week, due to money worries and had to go and see the bank manager with dh, which was a bit scary. Fortunately they were fantastic and its all been sorted out, so dh and I can breathe and maybe even sleep at night (dcs allowing of course).

Am continuing to do the 30 day shred and have lost a total of 15.8" across my whole body since I started! shock Am also feeling a lot fitter, stronger and healthier, which is really helping me cope with the onslaught of medical appointments and school stuff etc.

Overall, I think its been a good week, but I'm definitely in need of a decent weekend's worth of rest.

Off to Aldi for the first time ever tomorrow in an attempt to reduce our ridiculously large food bills.

justaboutstillhere Fri 16-Sep-11 18:43:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now