Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Part time schooling - a good idea?

(6 Posts)
sazale Thu 15-Sep-11 22:34:12

After yet another evening of meltdown after meltdown I'm wondering if my 12 year old DD might be better dropping to a part time timetable! Does anyone have any experience in doing this and if so did you find it helped? She says school is ok but she never wants to go and is extremely volatile all evening which often results in my 4 year old getting upset because she scares him. Things were def easier over the summer break which makes me think it must be school.
Thanks

jammieoliver Thu 15-Sep-11 23:44:06

It might help in the short term but all children have the right to full time schooling, and the LA/school are legally obliged to put adjustments in place to enable children with SN to access the full curriculum. Taking her out p/t simply allows the LA to dodge their legal responsibilities. Flexi-schooling can work for some families but I think it's often abused by LAs as it's much cheaper for them.

Before going down that route, I would first start thinking about the kind of provision that would help your DD avoid meltdowns and try asking for that to be put into place. It's hard work getting decent provision (and would probably have to be with a statement) but that is what she is legally entitled to and ultimately might be better for her than what could be offered by taking her out.

sazale Fri 16-Sep-11 00:09:48

Thanks for your reply. She's currently receiving 8 hours of support on school action plus. The problem is she saves the meltdowns for home and gets on with things at school. The noise is becoming more difficult for her at school and I'm not sure how much longer we can carry on the way we are. I thought it may take pressure off in the short term but wasn't sure if would create more issues in the long term!!
I spoke to the EP today and he's going to mention my DD at his next meeting in school which will be within the next 2 weeks so at least that's something!! Just not sure what to do at the moment x

Becaroooo Fri 16-Sep-11 09:49:39

Its called Flexi schooling and its down to the HT to decide whether it is something they will accomodate.

As long as your dd is getting her education at school "or otherwise" (thats the really important legal bit!) then it shouldnt be a problem..and it doesnt have to be forever either, you can review it each term and decide if its working for her or not.

HTH

raspberryroop Fri 16-Sep-11 10:08:04

We do flexi schooling with 2 of ours has helped tremendously - am going through a tough patch with my oldest but think the flexi schooling has helped keep it to a minimum.

sazale Fri 16-Sep-11 10:30:45

I know there are other children there part time which is what made me think of it. Raspberryroop how long have your children been flexi schooling? She gets so volatile and verbally aggressive but only at home. It lasted for over 5 hours last night and my 4 year old got really upset and she scares him when she gets like that. I don't know for sure it's school but the outbursts reduced so much over the summer holidays it has to be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now