Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Does your childs SLT make contact with you?

(5 Posts)
Eveiebaby Thu 15-Sep-11 17:46:34

DD had several SLT's during the last year at school. Each one made contact with me to tell me the dates they were due to visit DD and they also gave me the opportunity to meet up with them once for feedback etc..

DD's new SLT seen her last week at school but has not made any contact with me. I did not know she was going to see DD on that particular day until school told me after the visit.

Does anyone know if it is normal practice for the SLT to make contact with a parent - or were all the previous ones doing more than would be expected?

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 15-Sep-11 17:50:12

Write to the school and the SALT saying that if anyone is to visit your dd then you would like a weeks notice and the opportunity to attend.

I did that and the SALT was brilliant, said most parents weren't that bothered but since I was, what do I think of her targets?

It made it difficult to criticise her for a whole year. Which I could and probably should have done because although she was lovely, and wrote a report to smash all reports in terms of accurately explaining ds' difficulties, she had NOT ONE CLUE what to do about it or how to engage ds.

moondog Thu 15-Sep-11 18:56:25

If you ask, they will probably be very pleased to meet with you.
However, bearing in mind that most s/lts have a caseload that is perhaps 100 +++, if they were to inform every parent of every visit, they would end up doing nothing but that.
I am an s/lt by the way.

Eveiebaby Thu 15-Sep-11 19:53:19

Starlight - Thanks I think I will make contact and arrange to meet up if possible or just get a copy of DD's targets. Worryingly enough it seems that she asked DD's LSA what she thought the targets should be confused. I know the LSA spends a lot of time with DD and knows her well but I would have thought the SALT would have more knowledge of how to help with social interaction with peers.

Moondog - Thanks - yes, I must admit that I was a bit surprised last year when all three SLT's sent me a letter stating dates for the term they would be seeing DD and inviting me to meet up. But then the SLT does see a lot of kids at DD's school so I guess just one copy of the letter got sent to quite a few parents.

Triggles Thu 15-Sep-11 20:29:10

DS2's school knows that anyone meeting or working with DS2 must meet with me as well, so I know who is working with him. I keep in touch with most of them by email. We have an arrangement that they drop me a quick email to let me know when they're meeting with DS2 (SALT, OT, etc) ahead of time, and that way if he already has another appointment at that time, I can let them know so they can reschedule, or if I have any specific worries or things I would like them to look into, I can email it to them prior to them meeting with DS2. It also means I can arrange to meet with them if I choose to as well, which I often do, usually briefly afterwards to see if there are any concerns.

They still send home a typed report, but it just seems that I can keep up with what's going on better by email and a quick visit.

If you want to meet with SALT or OT or anyone that comes in to the school to work with your child, you must make it clear in writing to the school (senco, teacher, headteacher - whichever is most appropriate in your case).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now