Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

behaviour problems :((

(6 Posts)
saladsandwich Wed 14-Sep-11 21:23:36

messaged on here about ds before hes 2 and 9months, hes got speech delay but hes going in the right direction they put him 12months behind i'd say hes caught up he just isnt understandable to others. hes got some odd behaviours, lines cars up only plays with cars,trains ect, had problems with his behaviour a long time...

might sound awful but from him being little i just felt something wasn't quite right,milestones, smiling, rolling, pointing, aving, clapping have all been late, as a baby he just sat smiling at everything but never made a peep.

thats all i can think of for now but today nursery have pulled me to one side, his behaviour as been worse than usual, he has hit a member of staff with a dinosaur he has totally ignored everything they've said to him been running riot, i'm guessing theres abit more to what they managed to tell me in a few minutes, hes on an IEP but this is the first time nursery have seen him like this X

babs2011 Wed 14-Sep-11 21:46:11

maybe autstic traits maybe ,,, and many little babs hit out

Ineedalife Wed 14-Sep-11 21:47:14

I think what you need to be asking is, " what was happening before he hit someone with the dinosaur?"
Were they trying to take it off him or something? Not that it makes hitting someone right but it could help you to understand. He may not have understood that it was tidy up time or something.

Does he understand verbal instructions? Because he cant do what they ask him if he doesn't understand.

What are his targets on his IEP are they achievable?

saladsandwich Wed 14-Sep-11 21:57:21

his IEP targets are speech things and getting him to co operate with certain activities and he is getting there. its taken 8 months but he will now sit at story time for a short while.

the thing is when he tantrums they are generally mild if you say no to something he is no worse than an average child if not better. it is his general behaviour that is bad, the dinosaur incident apparantly was just he hit her with it in the course of just throwing at them, hitting out, i have a feeling it is because they have changed the way they are running the nursery and so they have alot more children in one room now, he really doesn't cope well with alot of children, he also doesn't cope well with any changes. waiting for his caf meeting end of this month and i start some kind of parenting programme next week see if that helps.

i have an autistic relative and i sometimes think yes he is like them but then other times i think ds is more social talkitive ect, he as finally started doing a little bit of imaginative play this week x

Ineedalife Wed 14-Sep-11 22:09:17

It sounds as if he isnt ready to be in a room with more children. Some nurseries seem to rush the children through the toddler rooms and into preschool rooms where they have bigger groups.

I think maybe you should have a word with the SENCO and see if he needs more support. He is still very little, only just past 2 and a half and with a speech/language delay he could be very confused.

Remember also that all people on the autisitc spectrum are different so he may be similar to your relative but not the same even if he was diagnosed with autism.

Good luck with your CAF meeting and your parenting programme.smile

saladsandwich Wed 14-Sep-11 22:47:36

thank you, i just feel confused, atm im getitng mixed messages, the communtiy peadiatrician seems to think all ds's problems are related directly to the speech delay but deep down i know something else is at play, i dont know if its autism... ds's nursery has lost alot of children from preschool because all the children go up in september now for reception so they've merged the toddlers with them, so hes in a group of around 15 where he was in a group of 6 max before x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now