Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

sport for 3 year old with s&l delay + autistic traits? any recommendations?

(12 Posts)
chocjunkie Wed 14-Sep-11 15:34:27

thinking about taking DD (3.7, severe s&l delay/disorder, autistic traits, no dx) to some kind of sport. she is pretty physical and has endless energy. she loves kicking the ball football isn't an option I think (she would not understand the rules, the sharing of the ball and the other kids would probably stress her out). she has grommets, so swimming isn't an option at the moment either...

does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be worth trying?

IndigoBell Wed 14-Sep-11 15:39:48

Baby Ballet?

3 is pretty young to be doing sport. Most 3 year olds won't be doing organised sport at that age.......

cat64 Wed 14-Sep-11 16:12:10

Message withdrawn

ANiceCupofTeaandASitDown Wed 14-Sep-11 16:37:53

I know its not a sport as such but my dd absolutely loves her trampoline. Best money we ever spent smile At least she is outside and getting lots of fresh air.

ANiceCupofTeaandASitDown Wed 14-Sep-11 16:44:48

Also meant to add, my dd is exactly the same age and also has severe speech delay and possible ASD. I dont think she would really cope with a) understanding the rules of a 'sport' or b) the 'busy-ness' of a sports hall.

graciousenid Wed 14-Sep-11 16:49:39

ds has been doing dance at nursery since about that age, he's only recently started to join in though. He also does lots of swimming & football at soft play play (rules don't seem to matter much!) - he's starting riding on Sunday, they start at 3 years old, maybe that would be an option?

dd1 did baby ballet from 4 I think - it isn't particularly energetic, an hour at soft play burns off far more energy ime smile

nightcat Wed 14-Sep-11 18:45:06

From pre-school age we used badminton rackets and shuttles hung from door frame (extra wide) indoors and trees/washing line outdoors. My ds really enjoyed that and now late teens still continues to play badminton. It also helped his coordination.
Trampoline also good, my ds used to go to the tramp club and gym club, there are waiting lists but time flies.

Chundle Wed 14-Sep-11 19:13:41

Our sports centre has a gym joeys which is fab my dd2 runs wild there! I think there's a chain of them they are a bit like tumble tots

WilsonFrickett Wed 14-Sep-11 19:39:27

Trampolines and soft play were our go-to's at that age. At school DS did something called 'Enjoy-A-Ball' which he/we loved - it was basically all sorts of activities to do with ball skills, so not getting into rules, football, etc. It was open to kids at the nursery too so would probably suit your DD?

chocjunkie Wed 14-Sep-11 20:11:48

thanks - will definately look into trampolines... don't I didn't come up with it myself (DD is trampolining quite a bit in our bed grin ). we have an appointment with her ENT doc next month. grommets where put in a while ago so chances are, they fell out. leaves only the challenge of getting a swim suit for my post baby body LOL

loueytb3 Thu 15-Sep-11 10:13:54

We've got a trampoline and soft play is always good.

We are just about to start a martial arts class (based on taekwondo) which has been recommended to me by a few people. The class we are doing takes children from age 2 - we haven't been able to do it until now as we were doing swimming on Saturdays (Ds1 is 4.5). I've also just been given a flyer by DS1's school for SN judo classes.

bdaonion Thu 15-Sep-11 12:31:52

A less structured dance class might be good. DD (SLI) goes to a theatre dance group where all the teaching is very visual and children are able to 'interpret' the dance a little more - less emphasis on form smile. She loves it and it has been great for her confidence.

We tried gymnastics but the particular hall they used was too big and echoey and I think that made it harder for her to latch on to what was being said. I may look for an alternative class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now