Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

over what period of time do doctors usually allow children to use melatonin for?

(10 Posts)
cornsylk Mon 12-Sep-11 20:46:02

We have been given some melatonin for ds which has transformed his sleep patterns <and our lives!> but we are nearing the end of our ration ...is it worth begging for more?

JackTheNipper Mon 12-Sep-11 20:50:34

DS has been on it for some time now I think nearly a year?
He's just started the slow release which IMO is better but we still have the wakings, just easier to get him back to sleep!
We had 2 weeks supply for phenargan, which the paed wasn't happy about giving us regular, (didn't work anyway)

But it if works for you get some more!

cornsylk Mon 12-Sep-11 20:52:04

thanks smile
We will definitely be begging asking for more but not sure if we'll get it - wanted to check what the norm was.

Lougle Mon 12-Sep-11 21:41:10

We got the initial supply from the Paed, then he wrote to the GP asking that we be given repeat prescriptions. DD1's been on it for almost 3 years now.

cornsylk Mon 12-Sep-11 22:21:44

Has he always been on the same dose (if you don't mind me asking.) Have you had to increase it at all?

Dawndonna Tue 13-Sep-11 10:03:08

We have one on it, he used it regularly to start, for about a year, no he takes it as required. We tried it for dd2, but she put on a lot of weight and felt sluggish and uncomfortable. Different things for different bodies and we know that Aspergers means that they react differently to NTs with drugs.
Sorry, rambling, Ds2 has had it on and off for about four years.
Glad it's making a difference for you.

Dawndonna Tue 13-Sep-11 10:03:40

now he takes it regularly! Sorry!

Davros Wed 14-Sep-11 10:35:02

I don't think there is a time limit as it is a hormone, not medication. I suppose you can reduce or withdraw it if the patterns improve. Our Psychiatrist told us to give it at the same time each evening, regardless of whether we felt DS "needed" it and this has worked. When we waited to see if he needed it he was often too wound up and over stimulated to settle easily.

cornsylk Wed 14-Sep-11 10:50:46

thanks smile

ouryve Wed 14-Sep-11 13:31:25

We were just given a 3 month supply by DS1's psychiatrist to see him through the summer when he has a lot of difficulty settling to sleep if there is any amount of daylight. That has run out now (bar a couple of tablets we've kept by for emergencies!) and so far he's had one settled bedtime and one bouncy one without it. He still had the odd dodgy evening, even when he was taking it, anyhow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now