Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Small hands and feet

(17 Posts)
MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 19:40:10

ok, this may sound completely crazy, but just wanted to check. My ds has very small hands and feet as compared to his peers, even girls. He is 25th centile for height and 50th for weight. His head circumference is also 50th.

I Know it sounds ridiculous and we are current awaiting generic microarray test results, but can this be linked to asd? I've read somewhere that it can.

Both dp and I have small hands and feet, but ds's really are small, like baby feet and he's 2. (3i if that means anything to you).

Just wondering really, I know it's probably a bit of a daft question... Just wondering if I should consider any other genetic tests. I know retts syndrome is only supposed to occur in girls.

Please tell me if I'm just over worrying. I guess most children have a sudden growth spurt with regards to feet etc.

growlybear Mon 12-Sep-11 19:53:58

Hi mangomonster my dd has retts she has very small hands and feet.Is you son being tested for retts.It can occur in boys but is much more rare.

MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 19:56:58

Not sure, he's having a micro array test. Sounds stupid but the geneticist measured everything but didn't take his shoes off and his shoes are bigger than his feet as they are so wide we had to go up a size. They just seem ridiculously small as to every other 2 years old I've seen.

MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 20:00:14

Would a genetic micro array pick up retts?

growlybear Mon 12-Sep-11 20:06:12

Sorry can,t really answer that question hopefully someone else can.When my dd was tested for retts it was a very specific test for retts.Do you have suspicions then that your son could have retts then.Retts is concidered as being on the autistic spectrum.There is a rett syndrome web site if you wanted any info.

MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 20:11:29

I've just read some stuff on retts and managed to freak myself out a little. He has been given a working diagnosis of asd. But reading the retts symptoms they kind of look similar. Maybe I should get him tested? I hate all this, you never know if you are being neurotic or not.

MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 20:15:30

I've always known he has small hands and feet, much smaller than girls who are a few months younger than him, but my sister is visiting with her dd who is 3 months younger and she's really dainty but her feet bad hands are much longer and "less baby like" if that makes sense. Has made me wonder.

growlybear Mon 12-Sep-11 20:15:42

Yeh i know.Which bits of retts are you worried about.

MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 20:18:11

Sorry hope that didn't come across insensitive. It probably did. Sorry, wasn't thinking straight.

growlybear Mon 12-Sep-11 20:26:31

Don't worry you didn't come accross as insensitive.This is a horrible situation you find yourself in and obviously very worrying for you.

growlybear Mon 12-Sep-11 20:28:14

I always say my dd has baby like feet and baby like hands she is nearly 13.They really are very very dainty with very very ultra smooth skin.

MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 20:29:45

Yeah he has beautiful, very delicate skin.

MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 20:32:03

Is it something I should rush to get tested or just wait for the microarray? My dp and family are going to think I am crazy and worrying over nothing.

PipinJo Mon 12-Sep-11 20:35:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

growlybear Mon 12-Sep-11 20:40:09

I would wait for the results of the microarray and then discuss with the consultant.I know this is easier said than done but unfortuntely this all takes a bit of time but just try to remember that he is always your little boy whatever and nothing changes that.

MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 20:47:20

Don't worry I'm always going to find a way to work around whatever happens. It's already been a constant eye opening experience. Just don't want to let him down by missing something.

MangoMonster Mon 12-Sep-11 22:59:30

His muscle tone seems fine and his motor skills are quite good considering he's delayed in most other areas. Will wait for the genetic testing results and mention my concerns at that appointment. Thank for all your help, I appreciate that I sound quite naive, but this is all new to me and don't really have any experience of SN, as ds is so young. Thanks again for responding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now