Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Personal assistant - direct payments ASD anyone have one ?

(14 Posts)
raspberryroop Mon 12-Sep-11 10:15:09

May just may be getting some direct payments for my ASD/ADHD 13yr old son - does anyone have any direct payments/personal assistant ? What do they do ? If you had one what would you want them to do?

TalesOfTheUnexpected Mon 12-Sep-11 12:20:44

I have direct payments/personal assistant for my sons. 8 hours a week. I had to interview a few people (with the help of my Social Worker) and between us we worked out what the PA was happy to do and what I wanted.

I basically wanted a break! So, 2 days a week she collects my (NT) daughter from school, waits for the boys to come home on the SN school bus, cooks them tea, and baths them. She puts my washing on and hangs it up (I never asked her to do this, but she likes to be busy).

I use the spare time to go to the cinema, shop, meet friends without being tied to school hour pick ups. Now and again, she'll agree to do a bit of a late night - if I've got enough hours saved up.

Some people use the PA to help them take their child out - go swimming, whatever. It's down to what you need and agree. I probably sound a little selfish but I'm a single parent so EVERYTHING else is my responsibility for the rest of the time she's not there.

It's the best thing I've ever done. I was worried about my sons accepting her (one is ASD but not formally assessed yet), but all my kids love her. She's an angel!

Tomorrowslookingfine Mon 12-Sep-11 14:41:37

I am a direct payments carer for 2 children ( at separate times).
The first family use their hours as part of the childs before and after school routine, so I get the child dressed, breakfast and see her onto the bus etc.

The second family use their hours as weekend activities, so i take the child to the park, shops, swimming theme parks etc.


Mine are used for my DS2 to go out with his carer..he only gets 3 hours a week so we use it as a 6 hours every other sunday. He loves the cinema so sometimes goes there, or to his carers house where they do fun stuff.

We have in the past also used it to pay for his holiday clubsmile

WetAugust Mon 12-Sep-11 20:43:15

We use it for leisure pursuits.

raspberryroop Mon 12-Sep-11 21:01:03

Thanks - so fab ideas!

tallwivglasses Tue 13-Sep-11 14:35:11

'May, just may'?

Fingers crossed for you. My son has lovely carers who take him swimming, to the park or cafe. Sometimes I go too and feel like a posh mum with a nanny grin Enjoy your free time and if you don't get it, kick up a fuss!

Lougle Tue 13-Sep-11 16:47:19

DD1 has just finished core assessment. She's been given 4 hours, but agency care. I will be there, but it means that I have an extra pair of hands (3 under 6). After a while, I expect I'll want it to move to DP, but right now, I'm just grateful that we've made it to 'support land'

raspberryroop Tue 13-Sep-11 17:15:17

Think its all going pear shaped - promised lot as I care my son , part time for my mum and also my husband who is experiencing mental health problems. It now looks like any help might be linked to a parenting course which means to be honest they can get stuffed as time is my problem not parenting!

tallwivglasses Tue 13-Sep-11 23:07:37

Noooo! <tears hair out>

Go to contact-a-family and your local carers centre and write to your MP.

See if you can get carers allowance and any dla for your son and/or husband. At least that way you could buy in a bit of help.

Seek out other parents (local NAS group?) and see if there's any playschemes, clubs or befriending schemes for your son. Parents will often let you know things that SS keep mysteriously quiet about.

Remind the powers that be that if you go under (see current health thread on here) then that's an awful lot of people they're responsible for.

Don't give up and Don't take NO for an answer

Davros Wed 14-Sep-11 10:31:31

I think the term "personal assistant" is confusing and misleading so I changed ours to Family Support Worker and rewrote the Job Description accordingly, especially as the PA concept is aimed at adults imo. It doesn't make any material difference I suppose but I think it is clearer. If you want me to forward the Job Description I can do so. It is slightly different and includes the full family composition and the concept that they may, rarely, need to help with siblings although, in theory, that could be a more major part of their role depending on what you want.

raspberryroop Fri 16-Sep-11 07:40:20

Davros that would be fab

Tallwivglasses - I know - I do get carers allowance and mid rate Dla for my son - but it really only covers the diesel that my 7 seater uses as we are very rural and everything is miles away -we swim 2x a week and its an hours round trip so even that is £35/40 a week as swimming is 9.35 a go. DS1 has been going to youth club but is too volatile at the moment and again is quite a car journey and I have to stay in town for the 2 1/2 hours.

I think will contact my MP (sort of know him) if I do not get a better response on Monday when the head of department is back.

Thanks everyone

Davros Sun 18-Sep-11 18:02:50

I have just dug out the Job Description I have used, obviously it can be adapted to suit your needs and your family. HTH:

Employee’s Name:

Job Title: Family Support Worker

Hours of Work: To be agreed as needed during school holidays/weekends (within DP budget)

Rates of Pay: £ ph

Purpose of Job
Our family needs support for (child's name) during school holidays (weekends, other) to access local activities and go on outings. From time to time we may need some help with our other child but this would be minimal, such as collecting from school.

As our Family Support Worker you will be required to provide personal assistance and meet the care needs of (child's name) as well as taking responsibility for him when travelling and attending local activities and going on outings. We require reliability and punctuality and expect our privacy to be respected and confidentiality maintained

We live in our own home and the family members are:

- Davros

- Davros's DH

- DS (dob ........) – our oldest child who has severe autism and learning disability

- DD (dob .......) our younger child who is typically developing

As our Family Support Worker you will be directed by, and accountable to Davros in all aspects of your work

GossipWitch Sun 18-Sep-11 18:15:35

I hope you get what you need it sounds like a great thing for you, I have never heard of this before but might ask my friend to enquire about it for her family, I think it would really help her out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: