Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

WWYD if this happened to your SN child?

(13 Posts)
TheLadyEvenstar Sun 11-Sep-11 00:02:15

DP and I took the DC to a theme park today.

We carefully planned it so that it ran smoothly for DS1.

Arrived got our card for the top rides so we could have our times put on etc

Got DS1's wrist band and were all set.

Most of our previous trips have been disastrous with the queing times etc so we were really pleased that for the first time ever DS1 was able to join in like all other children. I really felt proud of him when he was laughing along with us at silly things because he was relaxed.

About 4.45 DS1 and DP went to a ride to get on, at 4.50 they were turned away from the disabled access/fast track queue because there was a large queue in the non disabled queue. Poor DS1 felt embarrassed because the person in the kiosk said in a not very quit voice to DP "We are not able to let any more disable people on as we have a queue" then looked at DS1 and asked DP "whats his disability" DS1 turned red and walked away.

His whole mood changed and he instantly started acting up. I could only watch as I couldn't stop him feeling embarrassed for what had been said. He is still getting used to the fact he has AS, and no it is not a physically obvious disability but it is one all the same.

I waited for DP to take the DC to the car and I went back to talk to the ride manager whose answer was "well we can't make allowances for disabled people when we are closing the ride" I explained the ride had been going for a further 40 minutes and he said "Yes those were the people waiting"

WWYD?

I am angry about the way he spoke to DP in front of a large crowd who could hear and also the fact he embarrassed DS1. I am probably over reacting as it was the first time we have ever had syuch a good day and DS1 really seemed to enjoy himself. Didn't have a meltdown when he had to wait, didn't cry because DS2 had a go on a ride before him etc.

Sorry this is a bit of a rant more than anything, it wasn't a drama but it did upset me because it really changed DS1's mood. He went to my mums when we got back and he has told her about it and that it made him feel embarrassed.

keepingupwiththejoneses Sun 11-Sep-11 00:09:01

That is disgusting behaviour. I would make a written complaint. You are not over reacting at all.

lisad123 Sun 11-Sep-11 00:14:54

thats not on, from the worker, but understandable too. We went to lego land over the holidays and they had certain rides we werent allowed back too until certain queue times.
I would put a complaint in writing and ask that they consider putting signs saying "ride clsoing in xx mins so no exit passes allowed". Its understandable that if they let exit pass holders on, those queuing may miss out which isnt fair.

Im sorry your son had to go though it, but glad you had a good day. My eldest was quite happy to have an exit pass, but got stroppy when they let others in before us grin

Claw3 Sun 11-Sep-11 00:18:51

I would tell ds that some people say and do things that they shouldnt and some people dont know much about whatever his disability is and that he did the right thing by walking away.

If you have time, put a complaint in writing. Sorry to hear it spoiled your ds's day.

TheLadyEvenstar Sun 11-Sep-11 00:27:19

Claw, I did explain some people weren't always right in what they say, but tbh at that time he wasn't listening he had gone into his own thoughts. All the way to my mums he sat very quietly with occassionally saying "What he said was wrong" and other variations of it sad

Claw3 Sun 11-Sep-11 00:40:22

Aww bless him, its such a shame they have to hear things like that. Unfortunately it probably wont be the last time, best you can do is try to help him cope with people like this. He is bound to encounter them throughout his life.

Perhaps a social story explaining might help, in fact someone should publish one.

TheLadyEvenstar Sun 11-Sep-11 00:41:24

or doink the silly people on the heads when they say something like it ? grin

Claw3 Sun 11-Sep-11 00:45:35

Oh yes, that is what you feel like doing isnt it! but then you would just have to make a social story about mum being arrested grin

TheLadyEvenstar Sun 11-Sep-11 00:47:30

grin

Can you imagine it?

"mum arrested for doinking the silly fucker person who upset her SN child"

TheLadyEvenstar Sun 11-Sep-11 00:49:08

Its sure been a roller coaster this year with the dx, school probs not getting solved, him being excluded from school twice in 3 weeks, turning 13, I think it would make me stir crazy let alone him!!!

And to top it off this trip today was to help him relax as we have a 3 hour appt on Monday sad

Claw3 Sun 11-Sep-11 00:54:29

Oh yes i remember your thread about your ds and school. How did the meeting go with the HT, the one where your brother was going to attend with you?

TheLadyEvenstar Sun 11-Sep-11 01:03:16

The school haven't set it up yet they are talking to my brother and discussing what possible outcomes there are.

TBH they are close to being sued by him if they don't pull their finger out.

Claw3 Sun 11-Sep-11 01:11:07

Oh right. Im off to bed now, sorry to hear it has come to that and you guys had a bad ending to an otherwise great day smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now