Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SN nurseries Glasgow?

(10 Posts)
bookcase Sat 10-Sep-11 13:52:19

I've got a Care Plan meeting on Wednesday with all the people involved with my DD (Pediatricians, physio, OT, Ed Psychologist, SALT, Home Visiting Teacher, HV). I know the Ed Psychologist is going to recommend referring my DD to a SN nursery. My DD is 2 and currently I paid for her to go to private nursery 3days per week while I work. The nursery staff are great with her, they have a Squiggles seat and a standing frame and are learning Makaton to do with her but as she gets older and bigger its harder for her physically to keep up with the other kids her age (she's just learned to push herself to sitting, can't crawl, bum shuffle or stand but can roll about and can say dada and ta and hiya but is doing well learning Makaton) and that why they are referring her. I suppose I'm just wondering what the nurseries are like - they've mention hampden and kelborne does anyone have any experience of these nurseries and how things work? Are the placements only half days?

glittery Sat 10-Sep-11 16:47:13

My son is at Kelbourne School!
He previously went to Richmond Park which used to be in the building Hampden is in now before we merged with Kelbourne.

Kelbourne is a physical impairment school, whereas Hampden is a complex learning needs school so maybe Kelbourne would be better suited to your dd?

I'm not sure what the situation is regarding placements tho as we went to the Craighalbert Centre in Cumbernauld for DS's nursery provision but i think at 3 they are entitled to 5 half days in regular nurseries?

From an aesthetic point of view Kelbourne is just being done up and the nursery is finished and looking lovely!

glittery Sat 10-Sep-11 17:10:31

having said that i think the nursery provision goes more on where you live but maybe they are thinking Kelbourne would be more suitable for your dd if she moves on to SN school rather than mainstream when she's 5?

bookcase Sun 11-Sep-11 10:00:12

Thanks for your replies. From what you said I think Kelbourne would be more suitable for DD. I didn't think she would be considered for SN nursery until she turned 3yrs but apparently 2yrs is the youngest (she's just turned 2). I'm not sure if she will be going to SN school or not as she doesn't have a diagnosis so its hard to predict how she will develop but at the moment I would say probably SN school too.

The Ed Psychologist said if we are all in agreement to SN nursery then we could try and arrange some visits and then she would refer her to the admissions panel but I'm not sure how SN nursery works and what kind of things she would be doing. Definitely on the plus side I think is the fact that she would probably get more 1 on 1 time with staff.

We are on the other side of the city from Kelbourne so we would need to figure out getting her to and from there but if the nursery helps her then we're all for it.

glittery Sun 11-Sep-11 11:54:52

If they place her in the nursery at Kelbourne they should probably provide transport too i would think?
Kelbourne is good as it follows an expanded mainstream curriculum adapted to meet kids needs, going to the nursery there would also give you a feel for whether or not SN or mainstream would be better for her when the time comes, not sure what the staff ratio is in the nursery but my sons primary class has 6 pupils, with the teacher and 2 support staff with extra put in as needed so the staff ratio is pretty good smile

Youngerthanilook Sun 11-Sep-11 20:59:24

We lived in the West End when DD2 started nursery 3 years ago. The only place available at the time was at Croftcroighn in the East End (DD2 has complex needs) but transport was provided (taxi). The placement offered was full days - 2 days one week, 3 then next - not ideal from the point of view of a working parent but it seems that this varies from nursery to nursery.

bookcase Tue 13-Sep-11 13:21:54

Yeah the ratio of staff to kids does sound good. I'm liking the sound of Kelbourne!

I've never heard of Croftcroign. The Ed Psy did say we'd look at the nurseries suitable after the Care Plan Meeting tomorrow. She only mentioned Kelborne and Hampden but I also know there is a SN nursery locally (I think it's called St. Raymond's) but I suppose which nursery she goes to will depend on what the nursery fouses on (eg complex needs, physical impairments).

I've been waiting for this meeting for ages and it's been cancelled 3 times now so I am really glad it's finally going ahead.

Thanks again for your replies.

willowthecat Tue 13-Sep-11 14:29:06

Is that the St Raymond's school in the south side ? If so, I think it is about to close down.

bookcase Tue 13-Sep-11 20:10:21

Yeah near Croftfoot Roundabout, it's under 10minutes in the car from us and about 20minutes walking. I didn't realise that it was shutting down. That's sad that School has been there a long time.

When I was at Primary School the kids from St. Raymond's used to come to our school for Gym lessons with us as the Education Board at the time didn't provide a Gym teacher for SN schools. It was always lots of fun and taught us about people being different.

glittery Sat 17-Sep-11 11:06:41

how did the meeting go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now