Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SEN Independent Schools

(6 Posts)
whatever17 Sat 10-Sep-11 01:39:48

I fought tooth and nail legally to get my son into the Moat School in Fulham for dyslexics. £24k of education a year, paid for by the LEA. I thought all our problems would be solved - he doesn't like it.

I have preparing this path for a year and used the best education lawyers possible.

This is what is happening - every day at break time he rushes to the next class so that he can choose a desk at the front and lay out his pens and pencils and make sure he is doing his best. I said "playing is good, do that" he said "it's good to be early". He is not ASD. He is just competitive.

He says the other kids are below him academically. I know that he would struggle in a mainstream secondary school - because of their methods of teaching.

I don't know what to think - I would rather my son was over-achieving in a small SEN school than drowning in a mainstream school but I think he is on that cusp between the 2 types of schools.

TheCrunchyside Sat 10-Sep-11 07:55:20

Whatever17 how long has ds been there. If this is his first week then way too early to judge. Ask or bribe him to wait till christmas before you make any decisions. By then he may have made friends and you all will have a better idea of progress.

vjg13 Sat 10-Sep-11 08:06:00

Can the teachers set him some extra work to challenge him more if you explain?

whatever17 Sat 17-Sep-11 21:29:25

thank you for your advice. I have taken a deep breath and remembered that he has only just started. I have had a word with his form tutor who admitted that they had noticed he was not the happiest. I suggested a kid in year 8 (DS in Year 7 - tiny school) who I noted as particularly helpful and sociable who could discreetly be called upon to "help" him into tig games etc.

I must say that the school are really on the ball.

I also mentioned maths and they said they would consider giving him extension work. Plus a teacher had shouted at him at the form tutor said he would look into the circumstances.

IndigoBell Sun 18-Sep-11 13:19:58

Keep us posted. I'd really like to know if the moat school is a good school or not.......

Nigel1 Tue 20-Sep-11 18:15:18

If you have mananged to get there via a Tribunal then the evidence for placement must be there. Early days yet. What do your lawyers say?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now