Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How many tests does it take to diagnose autism?

(12 Posts)
dolfrog Fri 09-Sep-11 11:31:08

An interesting article about the existing diagnostic tests for autism, and possible changes to be made to meet DSM-5 in 2013.
How many tests does it take to diagnose autism?

utah Fri 09-Sep-11 11:49:18

interesting for me as my son has dx of autism at the age of 3 by a pead, he would be dx with severe language and communication disorder if following the guideline of DSM-5 as routines, repeating and sensory are not big issues for my son.

graciousenid Fri 09-Sep-11 12:46:13

utah my ds would be too - he has no sensory issues & isn't bothered by routines/rituals etc.

dolfrog Fri 09-Sep-11 13:10:47

There is a further related article
Clinical research: Autism categories are not clear-cut

lisad123 Fri 09-Sep-11 13:20:57

Both mine dx with ados testing

Arrogantcat Fri 09-Sep-11 13:21:50

Sorry to jump in but does anyone know if an EEG can diagnose autism?

dolfrog Fri 09-Sep-11 13:37:20

Arrogantcat

No would be the current answer, you could have a look at the Wikipedia Electroencephalography (EEG) article, it may be considered too invasive for those who may have ASD

timsmama Fri 09-Sep-11 19:04:50

Hi! this is interesting to read! Ds1 has already been diagnosed with AS, but they will now also want to to an EEG and CT (I was told that both will be done at the same time and that he will be sedated for it). tbh, I am not sure what they will be looking for?!

BakeliteBelle Fri 09-Sep-11 19:09:12

Are they looking for something else, timsmama? Autism can often just be part of a broader picture or syndrome

timsmama Fri 09-Sep-11 19:12:46

like what, bakelite? I am a novice still so have no idea really. They didnt say at the appt and I was already back home, telling dh about when I thought that I should have relly asked more questions.

dolfrog Fri 09-Sep-11 20:59:57

timsmama

Have a look at the CiteULike Group: Autism - library 215 articles, I have sorted the papers in order of year of publication (which roughly means the more recent technical terminology papers are the first ones you see. You can change the sort options at the top of the page) If you click on the link of the research paper title, you will see above the abstract (summary) a list of links: DIO will take you to the original publishing journal, and any that have a "Pubmed Central" link means that the full text of the paper has free access.
I hope provides you with more information and answers some of your questions

AryaStark Fri 09-Sep-11 21:02:56

I went to the Paed on the first visit with a list of examples of DS' behaviours past and present under the categories for speech and communication, social interaction, imagination and restrictive thought and sensory, food and sleep issues.

She dx him after an hour and showed us her own check-list and he was ticked for about 80% of it.

It helped that DS immediately lined all her toys up, wouldn't look at her and "jealously guarded" all the pegs so as not to spoil the collection grin

He did have an ADOS later though.

Interesting thread, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now