Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

any books on ABA?

(7 Posts)
pedalpants Fri 09-Sep-11 11:26:56

I have been reading the previous thread on ABA and am interested to know if there are any books I could read about it? Any recommendations? Don't really want to read technical research papers, just something easy and practical.

DS 3yrs does not have ASD but has some problems with anxiety and your conventional behaviour techniques do not work for him. the very little I know about ABA from this board and from friends in RL are very promising and I'm sure they could help with the various difficulties we have in everyday life (teethbrushing, getting dressed etc. etc.)

MangoMonster Fri 09-Sep-11 11:43:24

I'd be interested in this too.

sickofsocalledexperts Fri 09-Sep-11 11:57:53

First one I read was a real-life account called Let me Hear your Voice. You could also read my blog about how ABA was for me in the early years (plug plug!).

autismandabamum.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/how-my-autistic-boy-learned-to-talk-via-aba/

i eventually invested in the VB Mapp books, which give an absolutely plain English, blow-by-blow guide to how to use VB (a form of ABA) to teach your child up to mainstream levels, where possible.

graciousenid Fri 09-Sep-11 12:43:08

I usually recommend The Verbal Behavior Approach: How to Teach Children with Autism and Related Disorders Mary Barbera & Tracy Rasmussen as a starting point, it isn't too heavy going or expensive. As SOCSE says VB-MAPP is best for blow by blow account. Or there's Educate Towards Recovery Robert Schramm.

Agnesdipesto Fri 09-Sep-11 14:10:44

Autism Partnership (Ron Leaf) do a book called Work In Progress which is their curriculum for ABA.
Overcoming Autism by Lynn Koegal and a parent - is really more a story of a child who has had a best outcome from ABA and takes you through his programme from toddler to teenager. It will give you insight and ideas, but not really a 'how to' book, more a 'why do ABA' book. It tends to be dirt cheap on Amazon. Koegal has her own version of ABA called PRT but the underlying principles are the same. I like it because it made me feel hopeful at a time I felt quite despondent and it doesn't assume any technical knowledge. But you wouldn't be able to do ABA after reading it. Koegal does PRT manuals which are quite cheap and posts from USA.
There are some online subscription ABA programmes eg simple steps by PEAT charity in Northern Ireland. Have not used it but have been threads on here before about online ABA advice / programmes or you could post a new thread if interested. There is another company who do online advice but can't remember who they are.

moondog Fri 09-Sep-11 16:32:45

I spent a lot of my professional life explaining what ABA is to parents and other professionals.

I bought this book as a useful and not unduly technical guide to share with people.

PipinJo Fri 09-Sep-11 17:43:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now