Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Victims of their own success

(5 Posts)
insanityscatching Thu 08-Sep-11 19:13:14

Dd's wonderfully inclusive school is now over subscribed having their numbers rise from 268 when they opened two years ago to 358 as of this week.

The LEA are proposing to extend it to allow a greater intake.I know it's selfish but I'm quite sad really because whilst not a big school it seems big enough to me.

Demand for places is huge reception intake should be 50 but they let in 61 after appeals this year.

It's not as though there aren't plenty of good schools close by there are around 12 within a three mile radius of the school and few if any are full.

I suppose word has got out

Ineedalife Thu 08-Sep-11 21:37:18

Sounds like the school I have recently moved Dd3 to.

Although I do know that they do stop taking children in each year group as they get full, because someone I know tried to move their child after me but was told that there were no spaces.

IndigoBell Fri 09-Sep-11 09:35:56

I'm very surprised that the LEA would want to expand a school if they have places in the borough.

I thought they wanted to save every penny they could.

My school has been fighting expansion plans for a year now, and the outcome is not yet decided. So if your govs don't agree with the plans there is quite a lot they can do.

insanityscatching Fri 09-Sep-11 09:59:54

I don't understand it either Indigo, there is no shortage of places particularly within a five mile radius of the school I could phone the majority for every year and have a place if I wanted.
The school is a satisfactory rated school (inspected within a year of opening) but it's obvious it's going to be one of the best as even OFSTED predicted.It's not that the council got the predicted numbers wrong I don't think, it's more that parents like myself travel to take their children there and they seem to have found a niche in the market for SEN children so a lot come out of catchment on a statement like my dd.
I really hope they don't expand but as I say it's mostly for selfish reasons.

IndigoBell Fri 09-Sep-11 10:17:40

Well, essentially, if the govs support the expansion, and the LEA want to do it, then it's a done deal.

If the govs don't support it - and there's no reason for them to. Unless the grounds are huge more kids will have a negative effect on the school. If the govs don't support it, they'll fight it.

Like I said we've been successfully fighting it for a year. We're now at crunch time. Our decision now is probably be to either convert to an academy or accept the expansion.

But LEAs can't expand academies against their will......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now