Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Assessments Prior to Tribunal

(19 Posts)
willowthecat Thu 08-Sep-11 12:55:13

The LEA are refusing to allow our independent Educational Psychologist to visit ds' former school to make an assessment of whether it meets his needs. The tribunal can order them to allow access so I am just wondering what they are trying to achieve.... Is it just time wasting and delaying? Probably...

tryingtokeepintune Thu 08-Sep-11 13:55:23

Probably. Do you want your ds to go back to that school?

TheTimeTravellersWife Thu 08-Sep-11 13:57:07

Legally, what is the point of the LEA denying the Ind Ed Pscych access if the Tribunal can order it? It won't make them look very reasonable in the eyes of the Tribunal.....

On what basis are they denying access?

My LA never knew we had an Ind Ed Psych coming into school, I just arranged it directly with the school, told them that they were coming in to assess DD and that was all OK with them, wasn't it?! Fait acompli.

willowthecat Fri 09-Sep-11 10:01:19

Thanks for the replies - no I don't want ds to return to this school as I believe it does not meet his needs. I have another school that I wish him to attend. It does seem like a bit of an own goal as it will make them look unreasonable at the tribunal so I'm not sure what their plan is - or if they even have one.

willowthecat Fri 09-Sep-11 10:01:44

another school in mind is what i meant to pu

PipinJo Fri 09-Sep-11 17:57:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

willowthecat Sat 10-Sep-11 10:51:21

Thanks - I am thinking it will help our case too which is what is making me think what is going on !

Claw3 Sat 10-Sep-11 11:07:01

Im confused are they refusing to let EP assess your ds?

or refusing to let EP visit an old school which your ds used to attend?

willowthecat Sat 10-Sep-11 11:16:31

Hi - it's the second scenario, they won't let Independent EP visit former school. LEA Ed Pscch not assessed ds either but that's another story !

Claw3 Sat 10-Sep-11 11:18:49

Is your ds currently in a new school?

willowthecat Sat 10-Sep-11 11:21:54

No - Home Ed

Claw3 Sat 10-Sep-11 11:26:50

Oh right, now i understand. In that case wouldnt EP just assess your ds's needs and what environment would best meet these needs?

I dont understand why EP would want to visit a school that your ds no longer attends and you have no intention of sending him back to, are you sure a Tribunal would order this to be done?

willowthecat Sat 10-Sep-11 11:33:53

The LEA say the former school meets his needs and they will not agree to/pay for the other school.

Claw3 Sat 10-Sep-11 12:23:41

Oh i see, i was in similar situation, ds changed schools in the SA process and they focussed on his current setting, not his previous one hence why i thought they would focus on whether his current setting was meeting his needs.

But i understand, why previous school is important now.

tryingtokeepintune Sat 10-Sep-11 15:31:46

I was told that it would be important for the Ed Psych to assess your child and then state what sort of setting would be suitable - eg. class of no more than 10, etc. Also to get Ed Psych to visit new school to say how suitable it would be for your ds.

Wrt to the refusal, like Pipinjo said, the refusal would make them look unreasonable

When it looked as if our HT would not allow pte Ed Psych in, PP said to get Ed Psych to assess child in similar setting or which highlights similar difficulties eg. if your child does not easily engage with other children, then perhaps a club that your ds goes too where despite going for awhile, he has not made friends might be used to highlight the difficulties your child has.

PipinJo Sat 10-Sep-11 23:01:04

Claw3 Sat 10-Sep-11 23:48:12

Wow Pipin really, i didnt realise that. I was just thinking i might have been better off, not finding the new school for ds as his old school were clearing not meeting his needs, i might have won at Tribunal! Glad i did find new school now i know that!

PipinJo Sat 10-Sep-11 23:57:35

Claw3 Sun 11-Sep-11 00:08:27

I moved him during the SA process and like you from one MS to another MS. I think i did them a favour, as old school were saying they couldnt met his needs from within their budget. I had to take him out of old school, he was suffering badly. It feels me with dread, that if i had not been lucky enough to find another school who happened to have a place, he would have had to return to his old school if i lost at Tribunal, thats terrible.

Thanks very informative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now