Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Diagnosis in - High Functioning Autism

(22 Posts)
LeninGrad Wed 07-Sep-11 19:31:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

5inthebed Wed 07-Sep-11 19:35:57

Well done on the DX.

And <hug> for the next few weeks/months that follow.

MangoMonster Wed 07-Sep-11 19:40:13

Glad you've had some progress smile

LeninGrad Wed 07-Sep-11 19:47:07

5inthebed Wed 07-Sep-11 19:51:26

You will go on the Early Bird course, and you will sit and enjoy it young lady!

How old is your DS/DD who was dxed?

LeninGrad Wed 07-Sep-11 19:53:46

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 07-Sep-11 20:15:32

Hey LeninGrad,

Hope the diagnosis helps you all. It is a hard one though because I know that you had examined your parenting to the nth degree and researched enought to KNOW you were going to get a dx, it is also heartbreaking as well as a relief isn't it?

It would always be better for someone to tell you you're a crap parent and give you a book to read and a slapped wrist.

But the future is brigher with accurate information, as you can target your intervention in a way that is more effective.

Good luck with the future. I am sure you'll still hang out with us!?

LeninGrad Wed 07-Sep-11 20:27:20

LeninGrad Wed 07-Sep-11 20:33:08

5inthebed Wed 07-Sep-11 20:47:48

Ah 5, what a lovely age smile

IMO a DX is only a good thing as it opens so many more options for you, not just a sticker chart or positive parenting course wink

I have an Early Bird book you can have if you thought it would help. I found the course helpful as we were very early on in DS2s DX and mae us think of new ways to deal with his behaviour.

LeninGrad Wed 07-Sep-11 20:51:11

5inthebed Wed 07-Sep-11 20:58:27

Example of what? What new options you have? or how fab a 5 year old is?

Options, posibly more help at school, OT if needed and an EP. DS2s EP is fantastic and has worked nothing but positively with the school dealing even with repetative and negative bhaviour.

DS2 has just turned 6, but I would say 5 was his best age as he finally started being more co-opertive and we can sometimes reason with him.

LeninGrad Wed 07-Sep-11 21:10:19

5inthebed Wed 07-Sep-11 21:24:54

I was quite lucky in that the EP was part of the DX team, and he had an EP when he went to SS.

Erm, of the top of my head, if you want him to stop doing something, don;t tell him to stop. Tell him what you would like him to do instead.

So, for example, if he is running (we have a runner) you would say "walk" instead of "stop running". If he were swinging his legs you'd say "keep your legs still" instead of "stop swinging them" and if you wanted him to shut up, you'd say "keep quiet" instead of "shut the hell up"

LeninGrad Wed 07-Sep-11 21:27:50

5inthebed Wed 07-Sep-11 21:42:10

AH yes, first x then y. Works an absolute treat.

coff33pot Thu 08-Sep-11 12:16:58

Congrats on the DX smile I know you were worried on actually saying or explaining a name for your DS needs a while back. At least that problem is out of the window with one simple title!

At least now you are grounded as most has been explained and can move forward positively.

Good luck smile

LeninGrad Thu 08-Sep-11 15:03:48

silverfrog Thu 08-Sep-11 16:53:54

glad (well not, but ykwim!) you've got a dx, Leningrad. I remember when finally someone said the words to me - I went outside and cried, while feelign so much relief that I wasn't actually the crap, neurotic parent that I had begun to fear I was...

sounds as though your ds has started well at school - well done Master Lenin smile. dd2 has amazed me - gone into school, new class, no friends from last year, got on brililantly, worn uniform with no complaint - her only grumble? today when I went ot pick her up (about 45 mins earlier than I used to collect her last year, due to school change for dd1) - "mummy, why did you come so late? I was sitting by my window in my classroom all by myself and waiting, and you didn't come" <dramatic sigh, complete with shoulder shrug> "It was ages. And I was all by myself" (I had collected her form the garden at her old pre-school, where she was regaling her old key worker with tale sof her day in between leaping off the pirate ship grin - methinks she is cut out for the stage grin)

LeninGrad Thu 08-Sep-11 21:50:18

Sally200 Fri 09-Sep-11 07:55:41

Hi LeninGrad

Just wondered, when you say your ds has sleep and anxiety issues and separation anxiety - what is he like? My ds, he's nearly 4, has been diagnosed with SPD. He has other issues and the EP thinks he has asperges - he has been referred to the autistic panel for assessment - think appointment will be about 2 years!

DS's main issues - he is extremely over-reactive, I could close a drawer which is open near him so that he does not bang his head and he will be distressed, his level of understanding is nowhere near where it should be although is better than it was, he has speech and language problems - he only started talking about 18 months ago, he does not have to have strict routine but likes predictability, he really has no social skills - he doesn't know how to communicate with people and children - he can often be very rude, he will kiss and cuddle me (when asked) but won't anyone else, infact he can be quite mean to dh (thank god not me - selfish I know!). He is also a really bad sleeper - getting him to sleep on a night can take about an hour - he gets out of bed, shouts for mummy - no one else will do, during the night he can then wake up - sometimes 10 - 20 times a night. Have spent most of last night up with him. He wants to be near me or sometimes I don't think he knows what he wants. He can often be in his own bubble.

I can get my head around the fact that he may have asperges. The EP has been fantastic as has the SALT. He has just started his last year at nursery which he loves. It is a small nursery - approx 20 children with three ladies who have worked there for years. They are great with ds, they give him as much one to one as he needs. Will decide next month whether to apply for a statement.

Just wondered whether anyone has any advice on how to deal with him - such as his naughty behaviour and the sleep thing - would be so nice to have a night of him sleeping through!

Sally

LeninGrad Fri 09-Sep-11 10:40:04

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now