Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help me figure out why they did this?

(6 Posts)
lisad123 Wed 07-Sep-11 17:24:56

New class for dd1 and they have mixed up the kids again. Dd1 informed me she's not sitting with her level group or her friend but been sat at table with x and y. I know both these children have ASD. I have nothing against other children at all, and dd1 has a dx of autism. I just wondering why they would pop them all on same table?? Maybe I'm over thinking it but feels like they are singling them out sad

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 07-Sep-11 17:30:19

Does it make it helpful to in terms of a TA or support only having to be in one place? So they can share visual supports or something?

But blimey, having 3 children with ASD in one class?

Nothing wrong with it but surely not usual?

(and a bit bloody annoying that ds' school appealed so strongly against his attendance their because they said they already have 2 with SN in the class)

lisad123 Wed 07-Sep-11 17:39:34

There is six in the whole year over three classes so not sure how we ended up with three in one class!
None of them has 1-1 all day, so not quite sure if ta needs them all together. They are all very different presentations but even weirder is two of them are girls!!

IndigoBell Wed 07-Sep-11 17:49:17

Is the whole class in mixed ability tables? They're very common, especially for 'afternoon tables', and at this stage of the year (before they've assessed them) they're even more common.

So assuming everyone's in mixed ability tables, then why have they decided to group those kids? Hopefully because they believe (from knowing them) that they'll work well together......

tabulahrasa Wed 07-Sep-11 18:44:29

It could be for loads of reasons, they might work well together, they might need similar differentiation - so easier to do it discreetly if they're sat together, easier to give TA support if none of them have one to one they can justify paying a TA to support 3 children where they might not be able to for 1, they might be close to the teacher so she can best assess where to put them when she changes the groups round next time...

pigletmania Wed 07-Sep-11 18:47:54

I would not mind this tbh, my dd has a dx of developmental delay and autistic traits and if it helps her to be sat with other children with SN so be it. It might also help the teachers help them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now