Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

trichotillomania

(2 Posts)
chachaheels234 Tue 06-Sep-11 20:22:40

My ds has a diagnosis of HFA and has been tugging and twiddling with his hair for a few months now. Today we visited GP who says he has trichotillmania. I asked the GP what can we do to help him and his reply was there is nothing we can do, he just has to resist the urge. So i was wondering if any of you know of anything we can do to help him, does anyone have any experience of trichotillomania.

sickofsocalledexperts Tue 06-Sep-11 20:37:11

This is just one of those pompous doctor words which repeats back exactly what the patient has just told him - only in a long greek derived word. Your boy is obsessed with playing with his hair. My boy has had similar things along the way, like teeth-grinding or licking his hands. They have sort of divided into 2 categories: some have just gone awy naturally, with age, while others we have stopped him every time he does it - exhausting, but it does eventually 'disrupt the habit'. I thik it's a sensory habit, like thumb-sucking. Have you tried finding a kind of 'twiddlling toy' as a substitute?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now