Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Parent Partnership - Parent Volunteers!!

(9 Posts)
Anna85 Tue 06-Sep-11 19:20:12

Hello,

I am hopefully going to be doing the Independent Parental Support Training with my local PP and just wondering if anyone else has done this or had experience of using one?

:-)

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 06-Sep-11 19:25:08

Blimey! I didn't know such things existed.

My exerience of using PP has been that they aren't as independent as they pretend to be unfortunately, but I do know others that have found them very useful.

This sounds like a good opportunity to feed back into the system though. Good luck.

Anna85 Tue 06-Sep-11 19:29:00

Well I thought if anything it would be good for my own knowledge but also the whole SN areas really interest me. Since my DS was diagnosed with ASD I have spent hours reading up on things etc and would love to get into something around psychology/SEN!

MangoMonster Tue 06-Sep-11 19:42:45

Sounds really interesting. Good luck with it.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Tue 06-Sep-11 19:52:13

our service have taken on parent volunteers, haven't heard any complaints, the pp ladies have been over run recently so they need all the help they can get out to parents!

signandsmile Tue 06-Sep-11 20:37:46

You know that thing where you skim read and see things the wrong way round, I read they had been run over recently grin grin

tibni Tue 06-Sep-11 20:38:10

I worked as an IPS for a few years and found it very rewarding. Our Parent Partnership provided excellent training (about 12 full days) and shadowed new volunteers until they felt ready to take cases solo. There was always proper support and advice available.

Providing IPS is actually part of the SEN Code Of Practice.

I enjoyed supporting parents but did sometimes find the system frustrating - especially around exclusions.

Hope you find the role really rewarding.

coff33pot Tue 06-Sep-11 20:39:59

Good luck! Let us know how you get on smile

keepingupwiththejoneses Wed 07-Sep-11 00:10:08

I am currently an IPS in a very independent parent partnership. The service is funded by the LA but that is the only connection. I love it, it is really rewarding being able to help parents but as tibni it can be very frustrating. Exclusions are a nightmare, so may schools exclude illegally it is hard to believe. I have had loads of support and training from the service, they also funded my PTLLS course, so I can do parent programmes. IPS's have always been a part of our local PPS and because we have a good service in our area they are long standing, 1 has been there for 8 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now