Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Not responding to name - normal?

(10 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Tue 06-Sep-11 15:01:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 06-Sep-11 15:08:50

Probably normal. Do you have any other concerns of your own? Any niggles that were there before the nursery worker raised it?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 06-Sep-11 15:13:39

Do any of these ring a bell?

No big smiles or other warm, joyful expressions by six months or thereafter
No back-and-forth sharing of sounds, smiles, or other facial expressions by nine months or thereafter
No babbling by 12 months
No back-and-forth gestures, such as pointing, showing, reaching, or waving by 12 months
No words by 16 months
No two-word meaningful phrases (without imitating or repeating) by 24 months
Any loss of speech or babbling or social skills at any age

Elizabeth22 Tue 06-Sep-11 15:34:43

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 06-Sep-11 15:39:42

Well personally I wouldn't worry. But if you do have any concerns later, look up CHAT or MCHAT and if that brings up red flags go to your GP for a referral to a developmental paediatrician to rule out anything that is concerning you.

Elizabeth22 Tue 06-Sep-11 15:48:14

lisad123 Tue 06-Sep-11 17:01:14

I would touch base with the health visitor and get her to note concerns and if required make referral. The signs of high functioning Asd become more noticeable about this age and on going.
My dd2 started the whole referral and speech stuff at two years and started a SN school at nearly 3 and the early work has made a huge difference

auntevil Tue 06-Sep-11 17:12:10

Elizabeth - what about all the other milestones - sitting up, crawling? How's the walking coming on?

lisad123 Tue 06-Sep-11 17:24:11

My dd2 eye contact was terrible when younger but loads better now but only with people she knows well.

Elizabeth22 Wed 07-Sep-11 09:26:27

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now