Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

IEP's etc

(3 Posts)
amelieanne Mon 05-Sep-11 10:26:28

Hi,
My son (8) has recently been diagnosed with ADHD and is also dyslexic. What should the school be putting in place to support his needs?

School recognise that he has 'dyslexic traits' but have not tested him at school. I had him diagnosed privately and gave the school the full report.

He has one to one reading once a week.

I don't fully understand statements, IEP's etc. So, if anyone can help I would be really grateful!! Thanks!

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Mon 05-Sep-11 11:18:36

have a read of the sen code of practice there's plenty of info in there about the whole process and what it all means generally.

all dcs on school action, school action plus and with statements should have an iep that sets out their short term targets. They should be SMART Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time Limited and of course should list what the school is to provide to ensure this happens. What's important is what the school is actually doing, your ds may have a rubbish iep but be really well supported by the school and vice versa.

moosemama Mon 05-Sep-11 19:31:26

Hi there, dashing off so not much time, but didn't want to read and run.

I found this website really useful when I was first starting out on the SEN path with my ds1. It talks you though the basics pretty clearly. If you read that and the SEN Code of Practice you will have a good basis to go from. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now