Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

To thank the MNet community for reducing my ignorance

(19 Posts)
hermioneweasley Sun 04-Sep-11 21:47:06

i didn't know much about SN before using MNet, but seeing Posts on other threads from parents of SN children has started my education. Shamefully, before I hadn't thought about disability not always being obvious or that there are more explanations for behaviour than just naughty kid/ bad parent. I have been shocked at the thread about theme parks, and wanted posters to know that your patience in explaining issues time and again have at least registered with me. I can't imagine how exhausting things must get, and I know that you don't exist for my benefit or education, but I wanted posters to know that through conversation you have changed attitudes.

1980Sport Sun 04-Sep-11 21:57:38

As the mum of a child with SN I came on here for some support and advice which I have found in abdundance but another added benefit is an increased understanding of families living with hidden disabilities - I hope as a result I'm a much more tolerant person and a lot less judgemental than I was before (which I didn't even realise I actually was!). So I'd like to say thank you too!

devientenigma Sun 04-Sep-11 22:12:20

Thanks hermI am a parent of a child with an obvious disability. He is not the norm for this and has many hidden disabilities which result in the same issues and disgust from people as those with hidden disabilities, sometimes more so due to his obvious disability. It is extremely difficult for some disabled children to face the outside world and the reaction of some doesn't help. I also post on th theme park thread but my posts were overlooked. I know this seems vague however if you want more of an understanding come and join me for a week, i can guarantee it will be more than educational. grin

5inthebed Sun 04-Sep-11 22:18:05

Thank you for posting that Hermione, if only one person can be educated by a few parents sharing their day to day life, then we can decrease the ignorance.

Tota1Xaos Sun 04-Sep-11 22:19:20

Thanks smile

Marne Sun 04-Sep-11 22:27:13

Thank you, like 5inthebed said 'if only one person can be educated by a few parents sharing their day to day life, then we can decrease the ignorance.' (very true).

bedheadz Mon 05-Sep-11 07:56:08

Thank you for posting, Hermione. smile

Peachy Mon 05-Sep-11 08:32:16

Thanks for the post Hermione

Have just sent ds1 on his way to his first day at an ASD Base; am aware that whilst Im giving him the best start possible (school has excellent results as well as support) I am also handing him the 'SNU Kid' label now. I hope I have amde the right choice and the more people who are educated the better.

BakeliteBelle Mon 05-Sep-11 08:57:42

Fabulous Hermione. I was going to make a comment on the theme park thread myself - along the lines of how fantastic that there are so many SN parents on here who tirelessly try to explain and challenge the ignorance out there. AIBU is quite a scary place for SN parents but I'm really pleased there are people like you who listen and learn

maryellenwalton Mon 05-Sep-11 09:05:38

Thanks so much for posting Hermione. Reading those words means more than I could ever say smile

silverfrog Mon 05-Sep-11 11:10:13

thank you smile

zzzzz Mon 05-Sep-11 11:53:06

smile

ItsNotUnusual Mon 05-Sep-11 12:04:33

I haven't read the specific theme park thread but have read enough on mumsnet to imagine exactly how it went down (will pop over to read as soona s I type this). I agree 100% with the OP. I've learnt so much from such wonderful, patient and inspirational mothers on here.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 05-Sep-11 14:26:08

And my ignorance too.

I have a ds with a specific SN, and his needs, for the moment are arguably less than many others (although the more/less debate is a hard one because needs are SO different), but ocassionally I get to sleep all through the night for example.

I have learned loads from the SN board and am proud to be a regular poster here now but I have learned SO much about things I didn't even know there was anything to learn about.

moondog Mon 05-Sep-11 16:08:11

Did you know that the fantasti peopel at Cerebra will put together a Personal Portfolio (aka Communication Passport) for yuor child free of charge?

An invaluable aid to getting your childs needs addressed in a consistent manner byu all who deal with him/her.

It's the kind of service that s/lts would offer as routine-if they had the time.

moondog Mon 05-Sep-11 16:11:40

Ooops. Sorry.Ignore me. I have added to old thread when I shopuld have started a new one (see above)

Peachy Mon 05-Sep-11 16:18:11

Really MD? Thank you; have to do a passport for ds4 (yep tis looking that way, dx of speech delay, mild last week but obvious (to em anyway) ASD... mild though) for nursery

Ta for that!

signandsmile Mon 05-Sep-11 17:55:01

thanks to OP from us too, reading what you posted meant a lot.. grin.. (and I have learned LOADS from the amazing women on here too.. blush)

suburbandream Mon 05-Sep-11 18:23:32

Thanks from me too Hermione. I'm still reeling from a horrid comment someone made the other day when my ASD DS2 was scared of a huge dog (he has major dog phobia). It's good to know there are people out there who are more willing to understand smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now