Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

First ever IEP! Do I need to add anything?

(7 Posts)
Seepage Sun 04-Sep-11 18:43:33

DD is 13. Got her official Aspergers diagnosis back in June which school have actually responded to. I now have a copy of the IEP to sign and send back tomorrow.

Being a novice I have no idea what if anything I need to add to it. Any ideas?

naughtaless Sun 04-Sep-11 21:45:13

Are you happy with what is written on the IEP. Is there anything else you would like her to have?

IndigoBell Sun 04-Sep-11 21:46:24

You don't need to add anything to it if you're happy with it.

When will it be reviewed? They're normally done twice a year or every term.

If she met all of the targets on her IEP by the review date would you be happy? ie are the targets ambitious enough?

Are the targets quantified enough that you and school would actually agree on the meaning of 'having met them'?

Does the IEP address her top problems?

DoingAMonica Sun 04-Sep-11 21:55:14

Targets? That section is blank! (sorry - this is Seepage in Friends namechange). It is very basic and has bits for teachers with attatched info from their 'Toolkit' - the relevant bits like attention & concentration, self esteme, stress and anxiety etc. Some teaching strategies and Provisions like time out card, TA support and Mentor.

It seems OK to be going on with. I suppose as we get more used to being able to ask for help then things will be added. No review date but tere's boxes fr termly reviews so will ask for one at the end of this term.

IndigoBell Sun 04-Sep-11 22:00:28

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

And always remember that an IEP is just a piece of paper. What really matters is that she receives the right support in school.

It is only if you're unhappy with the support that you need to get a bit more pedantic with the wording of the IEP

(Or if you want to apply for a statement.)

DoingAMonica Sun 04-Sep-11 22:06:39

That's good then - It's hard not knowing what to ask for, what to ignore and what to demand. We can see how it goes with this. things are mostly OK and if she gets a bit of understanding (like the Time-Out card) the hopefully she'll be a bit more relaxed about it all.

Claw3 Sun 04-Sep-11 22:30:13

How will they monitor progress, if there are no targets?

How will they know if they help they are giving has been sucessful without targets?

A good IEP should include.

ACTION
• What help will be given.
• How the help is to be given.
• Who will give the help.
• How often the help will be given
TARGETS
What are the achievable target?
How will progress be monitored?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now