Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Struggling with remembering words and numbers.

(11 Posts)
fivegomadindorset Sun 04-Sep-11 17:50:55

I have a friend with a DD gonig into year 3, friend is getting frustrated as her DD struggles to remember words and nmbers. Having had a chat with her she says that homework can take up to 2 hours. If her daughter is reading a book she struggles to recognise words from one page to the next. Numbers is also a struggle so although can add/take with pysical things struggles when just the number. Does this sound familiar to anyone and if so what can I pass on to her to help?

janx Sun 04-Sep-11 19:07:15

What do her teachers think. My dp has dyslexia and it sounds like some of the problem he had/has.

IndigoBell Sun 04-Sep-11 21:44:09

I think she should assume her DD has dyslexia and dyscalculia and then start researching them.

This is all the things I have found to help after battling dyslexia for the last 4 years:

www.dyslexiaadvice.co.uk/

She should also talk to the SENCO and find out what school are going to do to help her.

Claw3 Sun 04-Sep-11 22:46:39

Ds doesnt struggle with the written word, he struggles with remembering the names of objects or people. For example he cannot remember that a kettle is called a kettle or the name of his Aunt.

He has word finding difficulties.

IndigoBell Mon 05-Sep-11 06:18:27

Claw - DD also has this. Cannot learn new vocabulary or remember peoples names. She even forgets her dolls names!

And she cannot learn new words. Or maybe she can learn them but then can't find them again. I don't know.

I haveno idea what to do about it.

fivegomadindorset Mon 05-Sep-11 07:36:16

Thank you for your help, will pass on the information to her.

Claw3 Mon 05-Sep-11 11:34:33

Indigo, i did stick post it notes on everything around the house, as ds can read words, he just has difficulties remembering them. This helped in the short term, but he quickly forgot them again, once i removed the post it notes!

His vocabulary is about 3-4 years behind, he has SALT help and targets, but i cannot tell you what SALT recommended as i am still waiting for a copy from the school. I would be happy to share it with you, once i receive it, if thats any help?

He also pays too much attention to detail, so after meeting someone he has memorised exactly what they look like, what they are wearing etc and could describe them to you, but he couldnt tell you what their name was!

Claw3 Mon 05-Sep-11 11:44:38

Oh and ds also has real difficulties with semantic links (0.4 centile) so his understanding of words is limited. So perhaps this makes it harder to remember.

IndigoBell Mon 05-Sep-11 14:52:16

Thanks claw. I'm always interested in any recommendations smile

Interestingly the SALT said DDs expressive and responsive language was fine.

Yet, it absolutely isn't. But at the time of the assessment I didn't know nearly as much as I do now smile

(Although it isn't as bad as lots of kids on here. She hides it very well.)

dolfrog Mon 05-Sep-11 15:28:12

fivegomadindorset

There are various cognitive issues which at this age stop being issues that children can grow out of as part of the natural development.
There are many auditory processing, visual processing, attention issues, and working memory issues associated with both Developmental Dyslexia and Dyscalculia. My online PubMed Dyslexia and Related Issue research paper collections web page includes collections about these and other dyslexia related topics.

Claw3 Mon 05-Sep-11 18:20:22

Indigo, i requested it prior to the 6 weeks holidays, but SENCO was off sick and apparently no one else could possiblly do a photocopy hmm (SENCO claimed at Tribunal that he had met all his SALT targets, but didnt provide a copy as evidence, so i dont think they are in a rush to give me a copy)

Hopefully should receive it once they are back to school on Weds smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now