Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do I get him to sleep? ( nearly 7, poss AS? )

(10 Posts)
imogengladheart Sat 03-Sep-11 18:45:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cerealmother Sat 03-Sep-11 19:34:32

When DX has been given, ask, nay BEG, for melatonin!

It's a life saver in the ASD scale of things.

sickofsocalledexperts Sat 03-Sep-11 19:48:25

Another vote. For melatonin. My asd boy gets more manic the more tired he gets; without melatonin hw would have no idea how to lie still tillsleep comes.

imogengladheart Sat 03-Sep-11 19:49:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sickofsocalledexperts Sat 03-Sep-11 19:59:45

It is only on prescription here, though annoyingly it is sold in every chemist in the US, where it is just classed as a natural supplement. It is used often for jet lag.

Tiggles Sat 03-Sep-11 20:06:24

I'm afraid the only thing that worked for us was melatonin too. However as soon as DS was dx-ed we were offered it immediately. The first thing that was said at his first assessment was pretty much "does he have sleep problems, if he does we will have to get that sorted sooner rather than later".
We are quite lucky as our local GP is happy to prescribe it (on authority from the hospital) some of the local GPs won't so it always has to come via the hospital.

Melatonin is a naturally occuring compound in the body that regulates sleep. A lot of peeople with ASD don't make enough melatonin, if that is the case being given it 'artificially' will help them sleep. There are 2 types: 1 that just gets you to sleep, the other is slow-releasing and is used for people who keep waking through the night.

timsmama Sat 03-Sep-11 21:07:20

Hi Imogen,
bedtime sounds really stressful and tiring! we have now got ds1 (4.5, AS) in a routine where we actually get him to his room without major problems (bath, dinner at 6pm, 30 mins TV, brush teeth, upstairs, story, toilet, dream story in bed, lights off, audiobook on). There's always slight resistance to the next thing that's expected of him, and it'S taken a while for him to accept the routine.

BUT once in bed he just would not go to sleep, not matter how tired he was. He'd get up over and over again, demanded I should stay in the room...in the end I did lay down on the rug in his room just for him to stay in bed. But I have 2 other (younger) ds, and I am sometimes on my own with them over night so I just cant do this (apart from me wanting the day to be finished).

we have recently moved to a new area and have now finally started to receive professional, autism specific help. The local autism centre also runs a very good support group where I met another mum whose ds has same problem. she suggested we get one of these Magic Lantern

The first 2 nights he stayed in bed without any problems at all. now the novelty has worn off, but it's still a million times better than it was before. he still tries to get me to stay in his room, and might get up once or twice, but no meltdown. also, since we've introduced the lantern, thereS been no getting up during the night, bed wetting or nightmares - which usually resulted in a meltdown.

I know you have to find a way of actually getting hgim to bed in the firtst place, but once you got him there, maybe the lantern would be worth a try?

Also, what time are you in his room usually. I too find that the more tired he is, the more difficult bed time will be. Thats why we are never upstairs in his room later than 7 - 7.15. and I too used to have major meltdowns when the bedtime story ended, demanded another book and another...but I had to give one specific rule (1 short book when we were still reading the VERY short ones, or 2 chapters on the bigger books), and after about a week he had accepted that rule.

I hope you find a way of sorting it soon. It is sooo stressful and tiring!
I also read your other thread. Gosh, it sonds like you have had some really horrific experiences with schooling so far. I hope it gets better soon and that your ds gets the help and support he needs!

Good luck!

greatescape Sat 03-Sep-11 21:24:20

My son use to be like this we were give melatonin but this made him even more hyper . We use to do bath then Ild give him a massage using calming oils while we listened to calming music. After he would get into bed and have a story by the time the story was over he would be chilled out. Altough it didnt stop him waking in the night.

LunarRose Sat 03-Sep-11 22:43:45

Have you tried using something like a makaton or pecs symbols to make a timeline so bedtime is predictable?

One story max, make this clear with a story icon on the timeline

second some kind of torch or magic lantern so DS wants to turn off the light.

Walk out the bedroom, don't walk back in unless DS is in danger, stay in earshot.

LunarRose Sat 03-Sep-11 22:51:37

We used this-
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astrostar-Astro-Star-Laser-Projector-Cosmos-Light-Lamp-/220540928796?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item335943831c#ht_2654wt_1037

It was shocking to construct and a flimsy piece of tat. It lasted all of a week before DS destroyed it, but it did get him into the right habit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now