Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Friday night chat...

(38 Posts)
signandsmile Fri 02-Sep-11 17:50:41

Hi all, how has the week been? ds has done two (short) mornings at school and was saying he 'had a nice time'. so that's a bit fabby.... grin

I may have (finally) pursuaded (nagged) dh into agreeing to laminate floor and Wickes have one that's 40% off and not too slippy. (Picture sign and dh surrounded by strewn shoes, leg braces, padding etc in Wickes trying to slide on the laminate floor samples to see if it is 'too slippy without shoes' for dh. grin

dh and I went out for brekkie too yest while ds was at school, so that was nice too.

ds has decided his 'special school clothes' are his "nudi-forn" which is what uniform will be in this house from now on grin, the okey cokey is already the "ottie toatie" grin.

moosemama Fri 02-Sep-11 18:40:34

Evening sign.

Fantastic news about mini sign enjoying school.

Love "nudi-forn". grin

Had another odd week here, not really been anywhere or done anything.

Have spent most of this afternoon labelling nudi-forn grin and equipment and haven't finished. hmm Also discovered that none of ds1s special pencils and refills made it home at the end of last term, along with his special ruler, any of his colouring pencils, his pencil sharpener or rubber. Its entirely my fault, He has them all in a sort of workstation set up on his desk and I didn't check they had come home - didn't even check his bag until this afternoon, as I'd seriously had enough of school and all the related stress and just wanted to forget about it for six weeks. Am now thinking his wobble cushion is likely to be awol as well. We supplied one that went walkabout after a few weeks, so they teacher bought another from TK Maxx for him, but I suppose that will have 'walked' over the holidays as well.

Gawd - I'm dreading it all starting up again.

In more positive news - we have an overnight camping trip and a couple of social weekends coming up. I have started to lose weight again after gaining then plateauing when I started the 30 Day Shred and I have lost 2.5 inches off my waist in under a fortnight! Wah-hey! grin

signandsmile Fri 02-Sep-11 18:57:05

wow moose! brill 'shrinkage'! my goal was 2 stone by school and I was about 3lb short, so am feeling that is not too bad... as I have not been 'good' recently...

hope the camping goes well. we get a two week half term here, (inc inset days) so am gonna take ds away to exmouth for the first week when it should be quieter... he is desperate to go in a caravan hmm.

glad you liked the idea of nudi forn. grin

Chundle Fri 02-Sep-11 18:58:42

Hi all sign glad baby sign liked school! Moose sorry your stuff didn't make it home sad my dd1 leaves everything at school from her knickers to her bag!

Dd2 got a weighted blanket and a really cool spinny thing here http://www.gonge.com/product_2101.htm today (soz can't do links yet!) she loves both of them! Has been spinning herself upside down today and is now resting yes resting under the blanket on sofa! However we did have a tantrum doing toenails earlier where she bit me and kicke me and I only managed 2 nails!

Dd1 has a taekwondo childrens championships on Sunday fingers crossed she holds her temper and doesn't knock anyone out smile

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Fri 02-Sep-11 19:21:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

signandsmile Fri 02-Sep-11 19:30:26

justa, wow brill fab!! [jealous]. grin

chundle am intregued (sp) at spinny thing, glad dd has enjoyed it, grin

signandsmile Fri 02-Sep-11 19:31:00

of course I meant envy not [jealous]!

Chundle Fri 02-Sep-11 19:31:03

Wow justa! How I would loveeee a day out without the DCs enjoy and treat yourself smile

dietcokegirl Fri 02-Sep-11 19:34:06

Evening All

I haven't been around for a while....

Glad to hear those of you on weight loss missions are succeeding! I am trying as well...just got about a stone to lose.

I am happy to say life is getting easier.......thank you ABA! We have a nanny to help with logistics & childcare. Have decided to delay DS1 starting school and they have been totally supportive, which is a relief. So, can put off the 'nudi-form' (love it!) labelling for a few more months!

Hope your DC's settle back into school.

Justa - enjoy your day off! I have a hen do to look foward to - a nite in bed on my own - yeah!

hazeyjane Fri 02-Sep-11 19:34:36

Hello, everyone. Pretty crappy week here, ds saw paed who has ordered a raft of tests, and thinks that his 'funny turn' may have been him choking on pooled saliva. We have just got some Hyoscine patches to help with the drooling, which we will start tomorrow. I met with a lovely lady today who is going to be able to give ds and I a lift to sn nursery, which starts next week, it sounds like a great place, so I am looking forward to that. Unfortunately when she came over, ds spent the whole time, crying and arching himself back so that he couldn't sit, and I had to stand and rock him the whole time, so i could have a conversation. In the meantime her sweet little boy (same age as ds) sat and played with toys. I feel knackered, and with raging pmt - right moan over!

Chundle Fri 02-Sep-11 19:34:47

It's a bit odd actually sign! I got them off a friend who has an SN kid and it's shaped like a spinning top so you can turn it over and hide under it! But basically you sit in it either alone or with another kid and get someone to spin in it (an older kid can keep momentum going), hold onto edge and put head back and it spins on it's rim on floor so you get the feeling you're going upside down- very strange but kids love it

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Fri 02-Sep-11 19:37:46

VeraCanSignChocolateAndWine Fri 02-Sep-11 19:45:15

Evening all.
DH is at work. Woo hoo. wink
Dd1 is nearly in bed. 3 more sleeps ntil she goes back to school! Woo hoo! grin
Dd2 is knackered and may well be asleep before 9pm! <fingers crossed emoticon> Also starts back at nursery in 3 more sleeps. Woo hoo. Fingers crossed it goes well at her new place, and full days. grin
And 3 more sleeps until I start my new job! And I passed my occupational health assessment. Woo blinking apparently I'm not a total loon. -but I beg to differ with that. The doctor asked whether I thought I was normal. What could I do? I had to tell him that there wasn't such a thing as normal and if there was I certainly wouldn't be it. blush

Had some good signing from dd1 this week.
My blog is up and running.

Well that's me in a nutshell. How's everyone else?

auntevil Fri 02-Sep-11 19:47:13

evening all - envy at Justas day out too.
First and last post as i have to go and label nudi forn grin tonight.
Still waiting on OT report and new sensory diet that should have been with us ready for DS to go back school with. Unless it arrives by Monday - i will have to get my 'evil' side on to get action!
Bars open BTW - all drinks served (diet, non-alcoholic and the hard stuff) and snacks on the bar grin

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 02-Sep-11 19:55:35

Oh yeah - rugby league. Sorry about last weekend Justa. I on the 'other' side.

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Fri 02-Sep-11 19:57:46

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 02-Sep-11 20:02:32

I know. Generally I have given up.

Sorry, new phone no. but can start up fb and message it.

CardyMow Fri 02-Sep-11 20:09:25

Friend had to cry off today and re-arrange for tomorrow. Cue DD being in meltdown for the entire day. You'd think it'd get better by the time they're over 13yo, but no, it's just like tryingto manage a meltdown from a 5'4" toddler...<<Sigh>>

smugtandemfeeder Fri 02-Sep-11 20:12:56

Evening!

Liking all the good news things about new jobs, enjoying school and days out alone. Love all the spinning things too.

I have publicised my good news enough I think. All still rather pleased by the decision. I have booked the expensive OT assessment which I wanted - I think they can diagnose sensory processing disorders which im sure DS has.

Rather stressful coffee morning today with DS. It was ultra busy and DS was screaming and screaming and I was rather stressed as a results. Lots of funny looks and comments from other parents. DS said "the noisy children are hurting me mummy" so I cleverly whipped him out and went to a cold dark quiet room and he calmed down straight away - enough to return to the coffee morning. Yippee!

And my next job is to try to get DLA for DH....... I never thought we would end up in this position.

CardyMow Fri 02-Sep-11 20:15:00

Good Luck with the DLA application!

madwomanintheattic Fri 02-Sep-11 20:15:33

oo, hazey, what dose hyoscine? did you get the info about how to cut the patch if he's on less than one? dd2 was on them for a while - there is an art to it... she was great on them for ages, it really helped with speech clarity too. then she started getting nosebleeds which they said might be nasal passages drying up as a result of the hyoscine <sigh> so she came off them. the nosebleeds didn't stop though, and eventually i got fed up with the never-ending drool, so she tried again. this time she had an allergic reaction to the patches, and ended up with red weals/ scars on the patch site. so we don't use them anymore. well worth trying though - certainly the effects on her speech were great. (she is an ex-suction kid because of pooling saliva. i've sen her turn blue more times than i want to think about - really scary.) we put them on her shoulder blade btw - the behind the ear thing is great for less mobile kids, but anyone that can reach and pull it off needs a more cunning option...

well, school's back, and i've just had the first meeting with the teacher and the learning support head. hmmmmmmmm. all three of us are much bemused at the handover stuff from the last school. so they are going to look into it a bit and probably re-assess some stuff here. in transition, they tinkered with her sn coding for funding (it's done differently here) and so she has arrived without any funding. and given her a general 'learning disability' code which doesn't get any funding. except that she doesn't have a learning disability in the general sense. and she does need funding (they are looking into netbooks and programmes as she has recording issues/ ot needs, some social stuff, and support at transition times/ end of day). hmmm. curiouser and curiouser. so the investigation has begun.

and me - i had a job interview! it was terrifying but quite enervating!

i've lost count of the sn stuff we've lost/ left at school, moose. we've probably supplied most of the western hemisphere with pencil grips and pencil weights. fortunately all reasonably cheap stuff (we always remember to bring home the actual chair lol) but still a pita.

justa envy

IndigoBell Fri 02-Sep-11 20:17:55

Had a very weird week here.

DS decided to cut out dairy - and now doesn't feel sick all the time ( I didn't know he used to feel sick all the time sad ) and says his tummy feels about 40% better (again I didn't realise it was that bad before sad )

Then DD hears me and DS discuss this and says that milk also hurts her tummy! sad Although she still insists on drinking large quantities of it.

Got DSs results back from a hair analysis - and despite drinking a pint of milk a day his entire life he is deficient in calcium - so obv hasn't been absorbing it sad

So bought the GAPs diet book and think it's really on to something. Far too hard to implement right now but we're going to work towards it. Starting with keeping DS dairy free.

Unbelievable. They have both had sore tummies all their life and hardly ever said anything.

School goes back on Tues - I've written a letter to DDs teacher explaining her difficulties. Now I only have to do the same for DS.....

signandsmile Fri 02-Sep-11 20:23:04

glad nudiforn is now the preferred word, grin...

may do my usual early 'slope-off-and-check-in-tomorrow',

signandsmile Fri 02-Sep-11 20:26:07

PS hi to everyone who has posted... I'm really slow and by the time I post a message everyone has moved on... grin

madwomanintheattic Fri 02-Sep-11 20:36:37

indigo - our friend had the same thing with her 13yo (asd). they decided to try gluten free again - they had given it up the first time as his food tolerances were making it really difficult and it was a constant battle, but this time, after discussing it with him, he said 'and then i'll get rid of my tunny ache'. exactly the same thing. obv at some level he realised that it had stopped his tummy hurting before (but hadn't been able to compromise on the food choices) but now he's a bit older and has gained some cause and effect understanding, he knew it would help. she said the same thing 'i had no idea he had had a sore tummy for 13 years...' sad

we're still toying with GAPS for ds1. paed next week though, so may ask about sunderland testing etc. it just looks like such hard work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now