Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Schedule of Growing Skills Assessment by HV

(8 Posts)
Chundle Fri 02-Sep-11 17:38:55

hi all any of you had one if these done by the HV? It's for dd2 she's 24 months? I know they are play based but just wondered what tasks this one would involve this time!

chocjunkie Fri 02-Sep-11 22:11:42

we had it twice when DD was a bit older than your DD (we did it at 2.5 and 3.0) and it looks these areas iirc:
- fine motor skills (DD had to scribble something with a pen) and do some stuff on a little peg board, build a tower with bricks,
- gross motor skills (HV mainly asked me if DD can do certain things; think she also asked DD to jump and stand on one leg).
- visiual skills (DD had to do shape sorter stuff)
- speech and language and hearing (DD had to name some objects and identify things in pictures, HV was also asking question if DD can do certain things)
- self help (HV asking question about toilet training)
- social/interaction (HV again asking about DD and how she is playing/interacting with peer group)
- cognitive (HV checked if DD had such basic concepts such as "big" vs "small" or colours).

DD passed twice - it clearly was only a box ticking exercise for my HV and we were refused a referall to the dev paed (we got in the end referred via GP and DD is now under dev paed for suspected ASD, severe s&l disorder and general develpmental delay). so not quite sure if this assessment is rubbish and fails to flag up things or if our HV does not know what she is doing...

HTH

lisad123 Sat 03-Sep-11 01:16:49

We had one for dd2 about 25 months as I was concerned. She was still within "normal" range apart from in speech. She was given a dx of autism at 3years old hmm

auntevil Sat 03-Sep-11 10:37:22

The - and any - assessment is only a good indication if it is done by someone that is not only qualified but able to accurately assess.
I was lucky with DS1 and the HV picked up on developmental differences. I'm not sure how the other HVs would have handled the assessment.
How much faith do you store in this HV's ability? Have you had good common sense advice from them before?

Chundle Sat 03-Sep-11 11:18:41

Fab thanks guys smile I can without a doubt say my dd will not utter a word in her presence! So could be interesting! It was our paed that has requests she perform this.
Thanks girls very helpful

Chundle Sat 03-Sep-11 12:07:16

Aunt evil I've never met the HV before! Fairly new to the area that's how I know dd will refuse to talk in front of her

auntevil Sat 03-Sep-11 12:23:06

Make sure she realises that it was the paediatrician that referred her. Also make a list of your concerns and go through them with the HV. Its easy to forget to mention something without a list - i've done that before blush

Chundle Sat 03-Sep-11 15:48:04

Brill thanks evil

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now