Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Functional Listening Programme??

(4 Posts)
Marne Thu 01-Sep-11 20:51:17

Has anyones dc done this??

OT told me a little about it and gave me the forms to fill in (the same old questions you get on every form).

Dd2 has Autism (we think HFA) but has severe sensory issues with sound, she holds her ears a lot, hates going in large room (because of the echo), hates sudden noise, hand dryers, people singing ect..(i could go on), we are finding it hard to take her anywhere and she's struggling at school (wont go into the hall for PE, lunch or asembely), at the moment its the worst trait she has, we can control most of her sensory issues (touch, light) and every other problem seems to be improving (he speach is improving as well as her understanding) but her sensitivity to sound is getting worse. OT thinks the Functional listening programme may help.

Has any one else done it with ther dc? or know more about it??

dolfrog Fri 02-Sep-11 03:01:05

Sensitivity to sound is called Hyperacusis and included in that collection of research papers is
Auditory hypersensitivity in the autistic spectrum disorder

I hope this helps

IndigoBell Fri 02-Sep-11 08:27:36

As you know I have had huge success with auditory integration training for both DS and DD.

It cured both of them of hypersensitive heating.

As well as their behaviour changing I have before and after audiograms for both of them showing how they used to have hypersensitive hearing and now they don't.

So I can highly recommend auditory integration training.

Marne Fri 02-Sep-11 08:57:30

Thank you Indigo, its great to hear a positive story, i would love for it to work with dd2 as this sensory problem is holding her back so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now