Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DLA form help please AHHHHH

(10 Posts)
coff33pot Thu 01-Sep-11 15:05:14

Trying to complete the dreaded form. Have got to the part where you have to define in minutes DS needs someone with him for day and for night confused

when does the day start and when does the night start???? do you take a standard 12 hours for day? and then work out all those minutes? and same with night? confused.com

smugtandemfeeder Thu 01-Sep-11 15:44:52

It is confusing.

I think night is taken as starting when you usually go to bed.

So DS often wakes up before we go to bed but they dont take that as night waking as we are still awake. Does that make sense?

coff33pot Thu 01-Sep-11 15:50:40

ah! soo DS is up at 7am...........but I actually sit up with him/or without him listending lol till 2am as he sleepwalks anytime between 12 and 2 for some reason. So 19 hours is his day time?? 5 hours is his sleep time. feel tired thinking about it lol

Maybe I ought to put that I go bed at 12 to enter a bit in the night time bit?? seeing as I dont officially WANT to stay awake till 2am lol oh dear

coff33pot Thu 01-Sep-11 16:09:11

ok next question lol
DS needs to be watched constantly. needs to be taught how to play, losing, playing together, playing with a toy for what the toy is for not as he would use it in his imagination etc

Also he needs constant reminding on how to talk to ppl, communicate correctly, whats nice to say whats not.

And his meltdowns, anxiousness, sensory overloads etc

They are asking me to define how many times? and how many minutes? I have put 900 minutes 7am till 10pm when he goes bed and for the quanity of times I just put constantly in all the boxes. But it looks daft iyswim, there is no way I can count on my hand how many times I have advised him, helped him, or played with him or discussed communication as its sort of a constant daily thing confused obviously I dont do it all in each minute but thats what it looks like if I put 900 in all of them

<tells herself donot screw form into ball and put in bin>

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Thu 01-Sep-11 16:59:25

A normal DLA day is set as 7am-11pm so specify that your normal bedtime would be xpm but due to your son's issues you have to supervise him until 2am to ensure that he doesn't sleepwalk (which would be dangerous because xxxx etc).

I believe that others on here have suggested that you do put constant or however minutes that there are in the day.

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Thu 01-Sep-11 17:00:46

BTW Don't screw it up and throw it in the bin.

If Smug can get through the whole process with her nightmarish experiences.......... grin

chocjunkie Thu 01-Sep-11 17:58:12

coff, I am just (just - haha, I started back in April and still not done blush ) doing the form. I really struggle with the minutes and the "how often" as well. I tend to go very much for "constantly", repeatedly " etc. have read on here that quite a lof of mums did it that way...
HTH

cansu Thu 01-Sep-11 19:26:49

In most of those boxes I write all day across the box!

smugtandemfeeder Thu 01-Sep-11 19:37:19

I just wrote constantly/constantly aware of him/All day/ongoing - things like that. Contact-a-family checked it and added things like "frequent wiping" and "minimum 30 minutes - can be 1.5 hours". Just whatever you think the real answer is. But then my application didnt go through very easily so dont use me as an example. My problem probably wasnt the form though, it was the lack of additional evidence to back up what I was saying.

For the night waking we wrote that we helped him 3-4 times a night and c-a-f added comments next to that to say that the 3-4 times a night was when one of us slept in bed next to him - to show that even when he is in bed with us he still wakes up and needs huge amounts of reassurance and resettling.

Just write it like it is and make sure you focus on getting evidence - if you dont already have it - from any one and everyone.

coff33pot Thu 01-Sep-11 19:57:58

Thanks for the replies! ok so I wont screw it into a ball just yet....would be a waste of ink after all grin

Took a break from it for now, will go back to it tomorrow when I can get my head round it again.

The only evidence I have at present will be my mother or sister as seeing and witnessing his issues. Then I am hoping to ring CAMHS and put her name down and the school. I got reports that they can see from camhs but at the moment I am still waiting OT assessment date and SALT date. So I just thought if I started filling in this mile long thing those appointments might just arrive by the time I finished grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now