Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Asd support groups

(14 Posts)
MangoMonster Wed 31-Aug-11 20:09:18

Does anyone have any experience of asd support groups? Was wondering if it would be useful to meet other parents in my area. Was also thinking of going to a special needs play group rather than the ones I've been going to. Any thoughts? Ds is 2 years old.

cankles Thu 01-Sep-11 17:39:17

Haven't been to a support group as such but I think anything to lessen isolation and widen your and ds's social circle is worth a go! x

magso Thu 01-Sep-11 17:54:45

Support groups can be very helpful but I do think it is most helpful to find a group with similar age children and needs. The ASD support groups in my area have mostly parents of school age high functioning children and teens, so have different struggles to ours ( as yet) with ds. Perhaps there is a group for early intervention in ASD or a more general sn pre-school parents support group locally?

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 01-Sep-11 21:35:23

I go to one support group regularly. I 'tested' a number of others but settled on one that had no LA input and did not rely on the LA for any funding. It feels safer there.

I took DS to a lot of NT groups though. Looking back it was incredibly hard work and deflating. Other mums could sit and chat, but for me I always had to be constantly on the go and with anxiety, but actually I'm really glad that I did do that and believe that it has helped my ds develop.

chuckeyegg Fri 02-Sep-11 07:49:12

I've just recently started to go to our local group and have already learned some useful information. DS is going through statementing too and there are lots of people who have loads of experience there. I would certainly get involved.

lisad123 Sat 03-Sep-11 01:19:39

Yes and I run one too grin

LunarRose Sat 03-Sep-11 15:43:39

Yes, do it sooner rather than later, you can learn huge amounts, especially if the groups you're involved in has guest speakers. Also our two local ones organise activities like hiring out the local swimming pool and soft play.

SN toddler groups were a breath of fresh air for me, second what starlight says about never really being able to get to know anyone at the "normal ones". The Surestart additional needs groups by us are well staffed and you do actually have the time to talk to other mums.

MangoMonster Sun 04-Sep-11 13:51:27

Thanks everyone, will definitely give them a go, if I can find one, not having much luck on that front.

LunarRose Sun 04-Sep-11 17:45:02

Have you contacted the National autistic Society? otherwise try your local surestart.... If your feeling brave post your area on here and I'm sure someone will help. You can always ask for the thread to be deleted when it's done it's job.

cat64 Sun 04-Sep-11 17:59:39

Message withdrawn

MangoMonster Sun 04-Sep-11 18:01:16

Thanks lunar. Have posted on local mn and tried an autism charity in my area, keep saying they will get back to me. Will check with hv, although she's not usually a fountain of knowledge. Will try NAS too.

lisad123 Sun 04-Sep-11 19:40:43

Where are u?

MangoMonster Sun 04-Sep-11 20:52:26

Chelmsford, Essex.

LunarRose Mon 05-Sep-11 21:23:17

Contac a family are awesome. But my first port of call would be the NAS helpline!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now