Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Grrr - Proposed statement late!!

(17 Posts)
1980Sport Wed 31-Aug-11 19:21:22

Just a bit of a moan - DS's proposed statement was due on the 9th. Still no sign - I've been phoning everyday, we're hoping for a pre-pre school place at a very over-subscribed SN school. Each telephone call I've been told the meeting between the School and the statementing officer is taking place the next day and to phone in the afternoon. So I call only to be told meeting didn't take place, rescheduled for next day - repeat - three weeks later ... Finally get to speak to statementing officer only to be told it'll be another 2 weeks at least before we get his proposed statement!

Tearing my hair out - rant over!!

ArthurPewty Wed 31-Aug-11 19:30:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Wed 31-Aug-11 19:44:52

why are they waiting on the school, a proposed statement shouldn't have the school named?

1980Sport Wed 31-Aug-11 19:59:25

Should've said it's also been held up by someone being off on leave for 3 weeks and the medical advice being 9 weeks late despite me phoning the paed's secretary every week since the 1st Aug!

I thought they couldn't issue the proposed statement until they knew if they could offer him a pre/pre school place?! They didn't say that directly rather intimated that was part of the hold up!

ArthurPewty Wed 31-Aug-11 20:02:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Wed 31-Aug-11 20:12:10

no, shouldn't have the school named until the statement is finalised. In practice the lea are usually aware of your preferences and often write the statement depending on whether it's for ss or ms but that's not how it's supposed to be done and strictly speaking the setting shouldn't make a blind bit of difference to the statement, it should be specified and quantified either way.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 31-Aug-11 20:44:58

He either needs a pre-pre-school place or he doesn't. That has no bearing on whether there actually IS one.

You can't look at what resources you have and write a statement according to that. It is illegal.

<Starlight cackles madly as it is blindingly obvious to everyone on this board that is exactly what they all do.>

1980Sport Wed 31-Aug-11 20:46:25

Ahhh right!! It's just so annoying when I push the point that it's so late all I get is 'well we allow ourselves a few weeks leeway' so basically timescales mean nothing. sad

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 31-Aug-11 20:48:06

I think they are playing you. If I remember rightly, August doesn't count in their timeframes.

They could have bloody well said that to you though than making frustrating promises they have no intention of keeping.

1980Sport Wed 31-Aug-11 20:50:03

That's exactly what they are doing Star! The EP said he has written a letter of recommendation stating he needs a pre pre school place as has everyone else involved in his care. But what we're being told is there is no statutory requirement to provide pre pre schools places and they are having to use portacabins to accommodate the pre school and year 1s!!

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 31-Aug-11 21:02:33

Ah, but there IS a statutory requirement to provide it IF it is in the statement.........

1980Sport Wed 31-Aug-11 21:06:24

Oh righhhhttttt! So his age has no bearing, it's becoming clearer.....

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 31-Aug-11 21:12:20

Their architectural departments inadequacies has nothing to do with your ds. Perhaps if they spend some time addressing his needs now he might fulfil his potential, become an architect and help them out. It's an investment.

1980Sport Wed 31-Aug-11 21:23:19

I've been accepting the line 'but there's no statutory requirement to provide pre pre school places' so I'll definitely be taking a different stance now!

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 31-Aug-11 21:25:32

But it isn't in the statement is it?

But it IS in the recommendations so they are stalling because every week that they can put you off, is a week that they save funding.

I would contact one of the charities for advice tbh, about timeframes etc.

1980Sport Wed 31-Aug-11 21:40:53

I'm on it!! I'll do that first thing!

You've given me a much clearer view - thank you!

1980Sport Wed 31-Aug-11 21:43:41

Ps star - read your post out to DH about architectural dept, we had a laugh smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now