Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

do you need a diagnosis to apply for a statement??

(7 Posts)
sleepyhorse Wed 31-Aug-11 17:16:55

Hi there ladies

DS1 is 3.3 yrs old and still not talking, we don't know what is wrong with him yet, he is still seeing a paed. She has ruled out classic autism and wants to take a "wait and see" approach as he is still young but as a parent am finding this frustrating as want to get as much help for him before he starts school next year. I know it can take a long time to get a statement so want to get the ball rolling. Any advice appreciated xxx

WetAugust Wed 31-Aug-11 18:16:36

No

The Statement is given to support specific behaviours / needs and not in response to any particular charateristics of a diagnosed condition / illness.

Apply away grin

Triggles Wed 31-Aug-11 18:53:52

No. We don't have an official diagnosis, and DS2 has a statement. He was 4yo when we applied and then finally got the statement. It took us about 8 months from paed referral to statement, which (from what I've been told) is actually pretty quick. I think the statement generally is expected to be about 6 months from application to finish, but not certain - I'm sure someone else on here will be able to tell you.

A LOT of the assistance and support that you can get does not need a diagnosis, so don't let the lack of an official diagnosis stop you from applying or asking for whatever support is needed.

cornsilksi Wed 31-Aug-11 19:31:34

no we have a statement and no dx - have been told by CAMHS that support is based on need and not dx

IndigoBell Wed 31-Aug-11 19:35:20

And it can be easier to get before you start school. So apply as early as you can smile

sleepyhorse Wed 31-Aug-11 20:29:50

Thanks ladies. And do I need to write a letter outlining my case or is it a standard application form that I need to fill in? Do most people get it that apply?

cornsilksi Wed 31-Aug-11 21:04:47

letter templates are on IPSEA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now