Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Advice please!

(6 Posts)
keepingupwiththejoneses Wed 31-Aug-11 13:40:49

DS3 has finally figured out how to get the safety gates open, which in it's self isn't a huge problem. We have gotten around most problems, like locking the frond door with the key and we have had to put a lock on his bedroom door but we have one issue I am not sure how to get around.
DS is over weight and would eat from dawn till dusk if we let him, the safety gate used to restrict him from getting into the kitchen but now of course he now has free run of the house he is just helping himself, he has very little understanding so telling him no just results in a full meltdown. Does anyone have any ideas of locks for the fridge and cupboard doors that a very strong 5 year old cant open?

silverfrog Wed 31-Aug-11 13:46:49

can you not put a high bolt on the kitchen door? no idea of the layout of your house, of course, but is there a way you can secure the door at all?

otherwise it is probably a lock the fridge and cupboards and keep the keys with you at all times situation.

keepingupwiththejoneses Wed 31-Aug-11 13:53:48

I did think of a kitchen lock but to be honest it is just not practical as our house is sort of open plan iykwim. I think I will have to speak to ds's ot, only problem is he is not very accommodating, he has the catchphrase 'lets wait and see if we can get funding first' hmm before he will even recommend something.

silverfrog Wed 31-Aug-11 13:57:17

are you wanitng a lock for overnights/early mornings, or one for during the day too?

where was the safety gate which kept your ds away before?

if it was a gate on his room, then you could try sound alarms - eg the alarm goes off if he opens his door. wouldn't stop him opening it, but at least you would know about it?

Becaroooo Wed 31-Aug-11 14:01:16

I think you can buy fridge locks?

Also, you could put the food/tins/packets etc in high cupboards with locks on too?

keepingupwiththejoneses Wed 31-Aug-11 14:09:48

I need an all day lock. We had 2 gates, one on his bedroom and one on the living area, a smallish room where the tv and his toys where kept, with the gate on it was fine as if we where not in the room he could still see us but couldn't get to anything. We have figure out the bedroom and the front door. We only have 2 high cupboards, both of which have glass doors which would send him crazy, also he would just climb up to them as he has before to get a certain cup he wanted. To be honest it is really the fridge that is the problem, I have tried a baby lock in the past but he broke that when he was 2 so no chance of one working at 5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now