Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS 8yo has learned to ride a bike

(17 Posts)
welshbyrd Wed 31-Aug-11 10:58:04

Im so chuffed, DS has dyspraxia.
I have been trying to get him to learn for about a year, even bought him 2 different bike within 6 months, hoping he would think they were cool, and encourage him to hop on one. He really has not been interested in riding a bike, even with stabilizers [possibly because all his friends can ride a 2 wheeler, to a degree I think he felt embarrassed]

But last night he rode my nieces littler bike, once he learnt he spent hours on it, it was quite clear he was enjoying himself

Im thrilled to bits, even though I have to get him a smaller bike now, last bike I got him [3 weeks ago] is a tad big, and its a BMX so very heavy

His year in school are due to do there cycling proficiency this term, Im thrilled he can take part now.
Sorry not sure why I have posted this, I just want to tell everyone <<tears nearing here>> smile

mrsbaffled Wed 31-Aug-11 11:02:29

Hooray! I can understand your delight! Well done littlewelshbyrd smile

glitch Wed 31-Aug-11 11:03:01

What fantastic news. I know I would be bawling my eyes out if my son managed it.

Enjoy it, moments like this are wonderful.

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Wed 31-Aug-11 11:13:26

brilliant smile

magso Wed 31-Aug-11 11:19:22

Well done!

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Wed 31-Aug-11 11:29:15

Well done Little Byrd smile

CardyMow Wed 31-Aug-11 11:47:24

Congrats little byrd! I'm currently working on this one with DS2, 7.10yo. He has hypermobility syndrome, hypotonia and dyspraxia. Not successful yet, but he'll get there.

IndigoBell Wed 31-Aug-11 12:53:20

Well done! It's very exciting news.

Loudlass - my local cycling club teaches kids to cycle 1:1 and they were very patient with both my boys.

So if you have a local one it might be worth taking him....

Hulababy Wed 31-Aug-11 12:55:17

Well done to your DS!

SparkleRainbow Wed 31-Aug-11 14:22:05

Well done to your ds. This is a big milestone.We have been practicing all summer and my ds now 8 yrs 4 months can not yet do it, he can however attempt steering and not fall off too much, but those stabilisers are staying firming in place for now grin He has EDS hypermobile type.

sphil Wed 31-Aug-11 14:37:34

Well done - this is fab! Ds1(10) still hasnt mastered this - we are trying without stabilisers (DH runs alongside and holds the bike) but he really isnt getting it - doesnt pedal fast enough and then leans on DH. I am considering trying the SN stabilisers you can buy, just to give him a bit more stability, but he'd be mortified if any of his friends saw him and we dont have a big enough garden for him to practise in.

His biggest problem is confidence - hes frightened of falling off and is so tense when he's riding, which doesnt help.

bedheadz Wed 31-Aug-11 17:17:43

Well done smile ds 7 hasn't cracked it yet. We are going to buy a new bike as his last one was too heavy.

auntevil Wed 31-Aug-11 18:00:38

Well done to little byrd. that's another thing on the checklist ticked off. I think that DS managed at around 8 - after several years of nearly there.
It was quite weird with his younger brother when we cracked it in 1 afternoon - just goes to show how much more difficult it is for our DSs with dyspraxia - so it makes their achievement even sweeter. smile

coff33pot Wed 31-Aug-11 18:10:29

awww well done littlewelshbyrd! grin

oliviaaah Wed 31-Aug-11 18:58:44

Good for you and your ds. Sometimes its hard when everyone else can do things and your little ones are still struggling. I gave it a go with my ds 7 yrs, but I could see he was so far off I just had to let it rest for a while. You've got to be strong and do what's best for your dcs regardless of the rest of the local community.

chuckeyegg Wed 31-Aug-11 19:05:38

Good news, it gives me hope that DS will manage it one day. smile

welshbyrd Thu 01-Sep-11 10:07:18

Thank you all for your kind words.

I really do hope all your DS/DDs get there soon

Sphil - your DS was exactly the same as my DS, he was all tense, did not want to pedal faster enough, he heart was not in it at all, do the degree, I thought he was not ready, we tried his own bike that afternoon, he was not impressed 'I will try tomorrow' he kept saying.

Later on that evening, I spotted my nieces little bike [she's 6] and asked DS does he want to try her bike, and he was happy to give it ago, 4 tries and he was off. I think because the bike smaller he was not scared of falling off, that and all my nieces and nephews, are so supportive and aware of DS condition, he did not feel embarrassed.

They all go to the same school [8 nieces/nephews] so DS has had no problems in school, I worry about about secondary, as DS can not read and write, his reading at home from school involves, a couple of flash cards with very simple words like, why, dog, the etc. But for now, he is happy, so shall cross that bridge when we get there

Goodluck everyone with the cycling, when it happens, the feeling is incredible, while any child riding a 2 wheeler is fantastic, a child riding with SN is just that little bit more special x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now