Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

legoland?

(15 Posts)
elliejjtiny Mon 29-Aug-11 23:37:40

We are going to legoland in october. While not wanting to sound money grabbing etc I was wondering if DS2 would be entitled to anything while we are there. DS2 was 3 in April. He has Elhers Danlos syndrome type 3. He has a blue badge and gets middle rate care DLA. No mobility, I get carers allowance. He did have a SN buggy but since DS3 arrived he has been using a mainstream double buggy. He can walk although he is slow and gets tired easily. He can stand in a queue but if people are pushing and shoving he would get knocked over a lot more easily than an average 3 year old. I'm assuming the exit passes are for people with autism rather than mobility issues. I'm sure I read something about carers getting in free but I can't find anything on the legoland website.

wasuup3000 Mon 29-Aug-11 23:40:48

www.merlinsmagicwand.org/

wasuup3000 Mon 29-Aug-11 23:59:00

It looks like the charity has stopped taking some applications this year to its attractions. In regard of Exit Passess they maybe flexible with that if you take the diagnosis and explain. Also the prices for disabled and carer should be on their website and are generally a little lower than he full prices and I haven't looked but under 4's may get in for a lower price or for free anyway?

wasuup3000 Tue 30-Aug-11 00:13:23

This is on their access guide which you can download under the disabled guests section

Admission Rates
LEGOLAND Windsor does not wish to
discriminate against guests with disabilities,
therefore the full admission rate will be
charged. However, if a guest has a fulltime
helper, a free ticket is available when
documentation is presented at any of the
ticket booths.

wasuup3000 Tue 30-Aug-11 00:14:53

Exit Pass Policy
LEGOLAND Windsor’s exit pass policy has
been designed to assist guests who do not
understand the concept of queuing, have
difficulties with everyday social interaction,
have a limited capacity to follow instruction
or to understand others emotional feelings
or expressions, and may become agitated or
distressed having to wait for periods of time.

wasuup3000 Tue 30-Aug-11 00:15:29

Guests who qualify for the exit pass scheme
must go to Guest Services, either at The
Beginning or in LEGO City, with some form of
identification relating to their disability.

wasuup3000 Tue 30-Aug-11 00:17:13

www.legoland.co.uk/PageFiles/514/LLW_Access%20Guide_v10.pdf

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 30-Aug-11 09:41:52

Admission Rates
LEGOLAND Windsor does not wish to
discriminate against guests with disabilities,
therefore the full admission rate will be
charged. However, if a guest has a fulltime
helper, a free ticket is available when
documentation is presented at any of the
ticket booths.

DeWe Tue 30-Aug-11 10:42:53

Under 3s are free, however if he's fairly small and you don't wish him to do the 3+ rides (driving small car, and diggers) then they probably won't query it. They may well ask to see the ticket at those places, so if you want to use them you'll want to pay.

You can usually get vouchers that get a child in free with an adult from various places. Check the internet before you go.

If you want an exit pass, then you need to be prepared to stand in a very long queue for customer services, and you need something like a letter from the doctor or consultant saying he can't queue. They've toughened up a lot on the exit passes because there was a minority who were misusing it and causing a lot of hassle for the staff.

Some of the rides the disabled entrance is via the q-bot/exit pass entrance, but by no means all.

The customer services are quite reasonable if you contact them. I managed to get the water fountains turned round by pointing out my daughter couldn't use them as they were set up to need your left hand on the button. That winter the entire set were turned round so you can now use either hand, and I got a lovely letter from them thanking me for letting them know.

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Tue 30-Aug-11 12:11:17

I went last Thursday and got there to get the exit pass at 9.30 as Guest Services is open then although the rides are not. There was only 1 family in front of me. It was raining but it was a tip that I got from another thread to get there at that time smile

smurfling Tue 30-Aug-11 12:18:27

I take my DS who has autism. I pay for an annual pass for him and I get a free carers annual pass for me (or whoever takes him).
You would be able to get in free as his carer and I would say he is under 3 meaning you just have to pay for your other children.

Once through the turnstiles there is a guest services on the right hand side. Speak to them, take a diagnosis letter and explain about the problems with queueing and they should allow you exit passes. You could always phone them / e-mail them to confirm they will allow exit passes especialy if you explain it is the only way he will be able to enjoy any of the attractions.

They have always been fantastic for myself and DS, I love taking him there after assuming it would be a nightmare.

lizzylocket Wed 31-Aug-11 12:38:33

We went a few weeks ago. I rang Legoland customer services to see if my son (Aspergers) would be entitled to an exit pass. I was told to get a letter from our GP explaining why DS would be unable to queue. The GP charged me £20 for the letter but it was well worth it. We had a fabulous time, DS loved it.

lizzylocket Wed 31-Aug-11 12:43:09

By the way, Legoland Customer Services told me they no longer accept DLA letters or diagnosis letters as proof that a child needs an exit pass. They told me only a letter from the GP was acceptable and it had to state the reasons why he couldn't queue.

silverfrog Wed 31-Aug-11 12:45:18

we have always used a copy of dd1's statement for exit passes at Merlin parks.

we don't claim DLA, and have no blue badge, so this is our only official document, really. it states her dx (ASD), and we tend to point out she is at a SN school.

we have had no difficulties with this so far, in 3 years of having Merlin passes.

kerpob Wed 31-Aug-11 14:14:07

Hi we were there three weeks ago - two boys with ASD and we only had their DLA letters - Customers Service staff could not have been nicer, more helpful or more accommodating - we got a special stamp for our two boys and carers' stamps on our hands for myself my DH and our DD. It worked fantastically well and really made the day so memorable. The wait at Customers Services was no more than ten minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now