Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

lumber puncture

(6 Posts)
zebradebra Mon 29-Aug-11 12:51:23

DD 14MONTHS has to have an LP this week. We are on the seemingly long road to a diagnosis. She has a suspected epilepsy syndrome ( dravet??).

Has anyone else been through this with dc?

Would be sooooo greatful for tips, insight etc.

Many thanks in advance

Chundle Mon 29-Aug-11 14:27:53

Hi my dd1 had a LP when she was 18 minths old. It was different situation though as done as an emergency. They asked me if I wanted to hold her down, I said no as couldn't bring myself to do it so waited outside cubicle. It took about 10 seconds she screamed once and that was it! I was in floods of tears and much more upset than she was.

TalesOfTheUnexpected Mon 29-Aug-11 15:02:58

zebra so sorry to hear you and your child are having to go through this.

My son had an LP when he was about 3.5. He was sedated beforehand. Not totally asleep but drowsy. Like Chundle, I was asked if I wanted to hold him down, and I also said no. I think that's best left to the professionals. I did hear him scream, but the procedure was very short and he was soon right as rain afterwards.

growlybear Mon 29-Aug-11 16:52:20

Sorry to hear you are having to go through all this zebra.

My dd had one done when she was about 18 months.Again i was asked if i wanted to hold here down but i said no.They really wont mind if you say no zebra.DD did scream but was very short lived and was fine very soon after.

Chundle Mon 29-Aug-11 17:37:01

Sorry forget to say we had no sedation/anaesthetic but this could be because it had to be done quickly. Hope all goes well xx

zebradebra Tue 30-Aug-11 10:51:47

Thankyou so much for the insight and good wishes everyone. I really appreciate it as im sure its something you want to forget.

I was a little reluctant to post my query but really glad I did. I didn’t realise they ask you to hold them down. I would have been caught off guard. Now I have had the chance to think about what I would do. I definitely will leave it to the professionals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now