Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

all terrain???

(9 Posts)
devientenigma Sun 28-Aug-11 16:04:11

Hi all, I'm thinking of gettingthis for DS. Our wheelchair services won't help towards buggies of this size due to their impracticalities. However we spend most of out time in the peace and tranquility which normally is rough terrain. I am sick of trying to get his wheelchair through it. My friend loaned me the smaller version and I found this quite tough to use at times. Can anyone advise of something different before I get this one??

madwomanintheattic Sun 28-Aug-11 16:10:03

we had a very similar one which was great but i found the recline angle too much for dd - she wanted to be looking around and was more often looking at the tops of trees/ sky. i think i sold it to an mner, but can't remember which one!

is ds too old/ big for a standard 3 wheeler? we used a chariot carriers 3 wheeler way past the recommended age - you just have to keep an eye on head height for the roof. and it went up mountains, on beaches, everywhere.

not sure what's about now tbh since we left, but bump for you anyway.

UniS Sun 28-Aug-11 23:36:56

www.chariot.eu/service/technische-uebersicht/

With the front wheel stroller "kit" added, would the cheetah1 be big enough? They are defiantly good off road, nice and light to push, those big wheels keep on rolling over all kinds of lumps and bumps.
Older models do come up on e-bay and the like. we bought a 6 years old model with stroller front wheel and then added a new "buggy wheel" set. Now passed on to others.

isw Mon 29-Aug-11 00:00:54

How old is DS and how all terrain do you need it to be? We have a Kimba Spring, its heavy but has excellent suspensio so copes with rough ground well. It is rubbish on sand though for example but good for off road dog walking, woods etc. We got ours second hand from ebay

madwomanintheattic Mon 29-Aug-11 01:26:03

yep unis, exactly what we've always had grin. we've owned three of them, (a single, then a double, then a single again lol) and they've gone everywhere with us. you can get huge bags for them and we've taken them on airlines wherever we go. easy enough to get back together in the airport and then trot up the nearest mountain. grin wink

1plus2 Thu 01-Sep-11 00:52:35

I have a Special Tomato buggy for my DS which is absolutely brilliant. It has good suspension and a bike style brake lever on the handle which is really handy going down steep hills. It's not too heavy, really easy to push (can do one handed on level ground). Only snag is that they don't do a rain cover. I got a large universal one from Argos which isn't ideal but manages. Other than that 10 out of 10. It's been over moorland, through woods and across fields with no problems but is also not too big for shops. Most people don't notice that it's a special needs buggy either. Good luck with whatever you choose.

devientenigma Thu 01-Sep-11 07:44:54

thing is he's 10 year old and 42 kg and needs a raincover. Those chariots look fab though, wish I had done this thread a few year back instead of struggling with a wheelchair and staying indoors in colder weather, rain, wind and snow!!!

UniS Thu 01-Sep-11 20:45:03

might this work with his regular wheelchair? www.gofreewheel.com/default.asp

r3dh3d Thu 01-Sep-11 21:54:59

I'm assuming this is what we'll get next. (At present we have the SN mountain buggy and I'm not sure who sells those these days tbh)

The rain cover is a bit of an issue. As far as I can see, once you get past a certain size you are deemed to be waterproof. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now