Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Physio missed our appointment deliberately...

(8 Posts)
proudmum74 Fri 26-Aug-11 09:02:05

Hi, my dd has physio ever 2 months and her physiotherapist is very good. Recently dd Senco has requested that her therapist visits her at nursery, that she attends part time, so that they can also help with her exercises. Her therapist agreed and a date was set for this week, but she just didn't attend, despite the hospital calling to confirm her appointment. I called her to see if there was a problem, but she just said she didn't think it was necessary as we've shown the nursery her exercises?!?

What should I do? On the one hand I'm annoyed that she's withdrawn the support she agreed to, but on the other hand I don't want to ruin our relationship with her for fear it will further impact on dd care. Should I let the Senco shout instead?

LottieJenkins Fri 26-Aug-11 09:25:00

Is it in her statement?? If it is then she has to provide it!

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Fri 26-Aug-11 09:29:20

possibly slightly different as dd3 is older but her physio went into school within a couple of weeks of her starting in reception, not just to show them her exercises but also to check the physical environment and pick out places that were likely to cause dd3 trouble, how to get her safely up and down steps and what aspects of pe would be unsuitable, how to use the equipment with her etc. It's not just about the exercises.

proudmum74 Fri 26-Aug-11 10:32:17

Hi Lottie - She's only 17 mths, so doesn't have a statement yet, but it was something the council's Senco put in her IEP and she had already agreed to. I know i can have a tendency to be somewhat forthright with my opinions, so my dh has suggested we go back via the Senco to resolve.

Ninja - good point, the council Senco & portage have already reviewed, but I'm sure there is plenty her physio could add (if she ever turns up!)

starfishmummy Fri 26-Aug-11 22:01:50

I would have thought that the nursery would want to be shown the excerises by the physio so that there can be no "comeback" on them if anything goes wrong.
For that reason I think the onus should be on the nursery/senco to follow this up.

bubblesincoffee Sun 28-Aug-11 00:54:10

If the nursery staff, either the manager or senco, are any good at their jibs, they will chase it up for you.

I's part of their job to liase with other professionals involved in your dd's care.

vjg13 Sun 28-Aug-11 09:32:14

I would email/write to the head of service about this and also let the SENCO chase it up.

As the parent you are child's best advocate and nursery staff can be busy, forgetful, on holiday etc. I think this is really poor practice and it can be helpful to come across as a polite but determined parent when trying to get the best possible outcome for your child.

proudmum74 Mon 29-Aug-11 19:24:21

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I've emailed the Council's senco to (politely) complain and ask for her to have a chat with the physio, as they're friends, to see if she can get her on board. I've also arranged a new appoinetment for me, DH & DD with the physio and will chat with her then to try and resolve.

On a positive note, dd is really coming on well & can now stand unaided for a few mins whilst holding on to the sofa (hurray!!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now