Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Just bought the eye Q omega 3

(18 Posts)
coff33pot Wed 24-Aug-11 21:18:03

EWWWW! they taste horrid! sad

I have been giving him haliborange omega 3. Blackcurrent capsules that pop and he likes them but ran out today. As I popped into chemist I saw the Eye Q strawberry flavoured ones that they didnt have before. £23.95 for 180 or £11.95 for 60. Bought the small box and glad I did as gave two to DS and I had one to see what it was like. NOT the same as the others I have they tasted disgusting. DS nearly threw up and I crammed some gum in his mouth quick! Gave one to DH who had the same reaction ooops!

Can anyone tell me if they were swallowed whole would they disolve fast enough to get into the system? Or am I best forgeting it feel a bit miffed at throwing £12 in the bin though!

chocjunkie Wed 24-Aug-11 22:34:59

coff, DD hated the eye Q capsules initially but I persevered and after about a week DD decided she likes them. maybe just try to offer it for a couple of days more and see if DS changes his mind???

if DS can swallow them as a whole, they also have capsules which are made for swallowing. not sure if the strawberry ones would dissolve fast enough but would think so...

coff33pot Wed 24-Aug-11 23:01:49

thanks. I doubt I will get another one near him to be honest grin

He did say tonight when he saw me putting them in the cupboard that the outside was ok and could he just have that grin

I said maybe he could try to swallow them whole with some water and he said he would give it a go. He is 6 so he may be able to. I got to admit they were gross myself! Will look out for the other swallow ones maybe they are smaller. I just envisage seeing loads of pink whole capsules in his poo if they dont disolve! grin

chocjunkie Thu 25-Aug-11 09:11:04

the capsules for swallowing a suitable from 5 years on. they are smaller and have a much smoother surface. should be easy to swallow.
and don't be tempted to buy any other flavoured stuff from eyeQ. no matter what is says on the packaging - they all taste awfully foul grin

coff33pot Thu 25-Aug-11 13:20:39

WELL I gave him two of these today with some flavoured water and said did he want to have a go at swallowing them like mummy? He did it with no fuss just matter of fact and straight down grin

I am so pleased as this means I got a chance of him taking other minerals/vits that are horrid to taste without a fuss!

Hope they do disolve LOL...........time will tell grin

It does say on the box that you take 6 capules a day for twelve weeks?? That seems a bit excessive for a 6 yr old though. 2 capsules are 800mg would that be enough? the haliborange dose was 400mg

EllenJaneisnotmyname Thu 25-Aug-11 17:05:28

We had DS2 take 3 capsules for 6 weeks, then down to 2. We use the ones designed to be swallowed whole so no flavour but fish and DS2 happily chews them. <boak>

Marne Thu 25-Aug-11 18:42:36

The only ones i can get the dd's to eat is the haliborange (which reminds me i must buy some more), we have tried several others which have made them gag grin.

coff33pot Thu 25-Aug-11 18:56:23

Marne I can fully understand why <boak> having tried them myself.

We were all brought up in Cornwall so fish is a usual dish we love but oh boy even I am a wuss at attempting to taste anymore. grin

Marne Thu 25-Aug-11 21:20:01

I cant bring myself to try the haliborange as they smell slightly fishy grin

coff33pot Thu 25-Aug-11 21:22:40

haliborange blackcurrant are nice! tried and tested by my own not so fair gob grin

willowthecat Fri 26-Aug-11 09:58:27

thanks for the tip - i bought the haliborange this morning and they taste much better than all the others i have bought (over the years!). The big test is still to come though, will ds1 eat them?

JackTheNipper Fri 26-Aug-11 11:03:59

DS has the Eye Q tropical, which I think are foul but he manages ok, he had the twist off top ones from about 6 months til now, (nearly 3) we have tried the oil based ones which really make him vom! and also gives him the shits!
I think the 3 month higher dose is to get the fish oils into the system quickly, I haven't done it with ds because he has always had them.
there is a website which is (slightly) cheeper than over the counter will just try and find

JackTheNipper Fri 26-Aug-11 11:05:13

Eye Q

Marne Fri 26-Aug-11 17:32:53

haliborange are often on offer in larger Tesco stores (3 for 2), we often stock up when they are on offer.

coff33pot Fri 26-Aug-11 18:57:45

Todays Boots current price haliborange £8.97 for 60 Tesco £3.25 for 30 and 3 for 2 grin

moosemama Fri 26-Aug-11 20:05:56

We have Opti-3 which is a vegetarian/vegan version made from algae. The bonus is that they don't taste like fish! They are however, the size of horse pills and have to be pierced and added to food for the dcs to take them.

We really notice the difference in ds1 if he doesn't have them, particularly in terms of sleep and agitation (wriggling, constantly moving etc) and personally I credit them with helping pull me out of my ME crash. I know that if I miss a couple of doses I start to feel weak again and become an insomniac (currently waiting for a delivery and haven't slept in over a week hmm),

coff33pot Fri 26-Aug-11 20:20:34

I agree moosemama, the difference in DS was gradual to the point I thought nothing was going to happen. But this week he has suddenly started to concentrate more longer ie 20 mins (which is gold to me) instead of 5mins that change direction.

I thought it might be that the haliborange was only 400mg as it is a multi vit too so couldnt really increase which is why I changed to eye Q omega 3 on its own as two caps are 800mg 3 days top up so far and it has made a difference.

moosemama Fri 26-Aug-11 20:30:30

It took a week or so to build up in ds's system as well coff33, although we did notice an instant improvement. Now that its in his system, we notice really quickly if he misses a few.

I have been prioritising giving them to ds1 while we are awaiting the next delivery and boy have I noticed the difference myself while I've not been having them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now