Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Speech Therapy suggestions

(3 Posts)
sazale Wed 24-Aug-11 19:37:05

I don't know if anyone can help, I really hope so. My 4 1/2 year old DS has a speech problem where his main issue is missing the end sounds off of words. The speech therapist is getting him to identify pictures and encouraging him to repeat it till he says it right. She says it will not rectify itself and that this is the only way to improve his speech. She tries to make it fun and so do I as we have to do it at home. The problem is he is exceptionally bright and finds it very boring so is starting to refuse to do it. I'm at a loss as to what to try as she said the only thing they can do is leave it till he is older and then try again hoping he'll be more compliant then. I don't really want to leave it with him starting full time school in September and he can be difficult to understand at times. Any ideas what I could do to make it more fun for him?
I was concerned that it could be his tongue as he has slight tongue tie and cannot lift his tongue when requested or say the letter L, he also can't stick his tongue out far, but the therapist said not as he can say the hardest letter that uses his tongue (can't remember what letter that was).
Thanks in advance x

anonandlikeit Wed 24-Aug-11 19:41:25

Will hr try word association games, or we went to the shops & we bought... etc etc but insist that you all hav eto say the words in full.

sazale Wed 24-Aug-11 19:44:10

I think he might like the we went to the shop and bought! I never thought of that one! We do rhyming words because he loves doing rhyming words but he's getting so frustrated with it x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now