Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Could I please ask for some help re: anti depressants for dd (AS)?

(11 Posts)
siblingrivalry Wed 24-Aug-11 12:10:09

Hi
DD1 is 10 and has dx of AS, DCD, SPD and OCD.
Her main issues have always been anxiety based and over the last few months it has become totally unmanageable -despite all of the strategies we have tried.

Her back story is looonnng! So, in a nutshell, we dropped CAMHS after they committed a massive betrayal of trust (for which they admitted full responsibility) and I have been doing various things with dd (CBT based/relaxation/ coping strategies etc).

When she is relaxed enough, she is very receptive to these 'therapies' and we have seen good results in the past. However, her levels of stress and anxiety are so high atm that nothing is working as she is just too agitated to take any of it in. It's affecting the whole family and I really do feel like I'm at the end of my tether. Most importantly, dd's quality of life is poor and she is utterly miserable.

A couple of years ago, a psych suggested trying something like Prozac, to reduce dd's anxiety to the point that she could learn coping strategies etc. At the time, we felt like we wanted to explore other avenues first, but now we realise that there is no point in dd continuing to suffer when there is a possibility that meds may help her.

So I would be really grateful to hear about anyone's experiences of meds with their dc and how the child responded.
Also, I want to avoid going to CAMHS if at all possible, so does anyone know if a GP can prescribe it?

Many thanks. I won't be around until this evening, so will pop back then.

WilsonFrickett Wed 24-Aug-11 17:05:52

I haven't any direct experience of using anti-depressants with DCs but I have to say if you have tried every other approach - and you have - then I can't see a reason why not. I think we're lucky to live in an age where this kind of medicine is available and if there's a chance it will help your DD then I would say take it and I hope it helps.

cornsilx Wed 24-Aug-11 17:23:38

recent thread here don't know if a GP can prescribe

coff33pot Wed 24-Aug-11 18:32:01

DD was first prescribed fluoxetine at 14 and that was prescribed by a GP.

cankles Wed 24-Aug-11 19:06:11

Hi Sibling; just wanted to mention a couple of things really - which you may have explored already! I'm not sure of your dd's story but sounds like she has a lot going on. Have there been any triggers to her current anxieties do you think? Is is possible that hormones are kicking in for her? Have you had an OT Home Assessment (perhaps there are practical changes within the family home that haven't been identified yet that could help reduce her anxiety - perhaps not of course!) Have you considered something like Art Therapy (dd doesn't have to be 'good at art'!) - a bit of space to explore how she feels quietly might be more to her liking than 1 - 1 intensity of the counselling environment. Have you had a look at Tony Attwood's book specifically on anxiety (there is also one very similar for anger) - maybe the library would have a copy, save you buying one.

I am not sure who can prescribe meds for dd, you must be very worried about her x

devientenigma Wed 24-Aug-11 19:29:01

Hi sibling,

We have prozac here. What's going through my head is, as you are roughly my area, is it the same doctor who prescribed?

Anyway from what I remember the GP couldn't renew his Prozac, but I think it's worth trying.

Sorry not much help.

rumple Wed 24-Aug-11 21:44:17

Have you heard of GAPS as a treatment for depression?
This is lecture from the doctor that created it.
www.vimeo.com/10507542
I'm sure you'll be sceptical at first but try the first half hour and if you don't think it's helpful it's only half an hour wasted. She explains it really clearly and comprehensively.

AlysWho Wed 24-Aug-11 22:41:41

My GP couldnt perscribe. Had to go through CAHMS. Worth going to yr GP for advice though?

pinkorkid Wed 24-Aug-11 22:48:27

Our only experience of medication for ds' anxiety has been via camhs but perhaps if you approached your gp to ask if s/he can refer you elsewhere if is unable to prescribe suitable meds him/herself. Would you consider another local branch of camhs with different practitioners?

devientenigma Thu 25-Aug-11 07:56:27

sibling does your dd have sld. Just my ds was down to get cbt and we were told he was too severe learning?!

siblingrivalry Thu 25-Aug-11 10:22:40

Hi, sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this thread.
Thanks everyone for your posts and advice and for the links -I will have a look at them shortly.

Devient dd doesn't have sld- cbt does seem to work with her, but not when she's as anxious as she is at the moment, sadly. I'm not sure where you are -can PM you with our location though if you like?

We have had OT and tried umpteen therapies with dd-thing is she is really resistant to everything in her current state. Although we have seen progress in the past.

I have made an appointment with our GP- although the only one available is 2 weeks away -and I will discuss it with him. I would probably consider a different CAMHS if need be, was just hoping to avoid any more contact with them if possible.

Thanks again everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now