Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DCD/dyspraxia in my 10 year old, feel like I'm getting nowhere.

(4 Posts)
missapphire Mon 22-Aug-11 22:08:10

Message withdrawn

IndigoBell Tue 23-Aug-11 09:20:49

Yes, you won't get much support from school or the NHS.

But there is plenty you can do yourself. Either private OT or private SALT, or many, many other therapies.

The only thing that limits you is your budget. And even if you have absolutely no money there is still lots you can do.

LIZS Tue 23-Aug-11 09:34:50

OT should give you a series of exercises to run through at home, even if you don't get regular sessions, for gross and fine motor skills. Lots of activities such as climbing can help with building muscle strength, coordination and cross lateral thinking. Fiddling with playdough/blutak and pinching each finger to thumb in succession can help pencil grip, loop a rubber band between each finger and thumb then stretch/relax. He needs to be seated properly in lcass too and maybe a Move n Sit cushion would help his posture and therefore his writing or a writing slope (try with an A4 file filled with paper ). By this age you also could ask if he could start to use a laptop and learn to touch type - policies vary.

Try tackle one thing at a time. For example school can use visual handout for him to follow on his desk, rather than keep looking up at a board or need to remember each instruction, with verbal prompts from teacher to encourage him to think through the task step by step. Go through what he needs to take each day and make a checklist for him to do his own check before he leaves the house.

Chummybud1 Tue 23-Aug-11 21:02:53

Yeah sounds exactly like my son.

Ot can give you loads of exercises to do at home, as well as at school.

She can go into school and recommend what is needed ie my son has block under his feet and has to sit face on to board.

My son also sees LT

My ot recommended making my sons school bag heavier which will help muscle tone, I keep a heavy book which he carries to school and back

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now