Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

So... we're being Botoxed...

(11 Posts)
Galena Mon 22-Aug-11 12:57:33

Had joint orthopaedic clinic today. Orthopaedic surgeon, Paediatric consultant, 2x physios, work experience bod, DH, me and DD! What a lot of people for one little 2.4yr old girl!

Had hip x-rays which she WASN'T impressed with, and they had a look at her and a chat (while we were getting x-rays). I knew Botox was a possibility at some point, and have known this since her diagnosis of diplegic CP in June.

I didn't realise we were talking before the end of the year! We could have had it in 4 weeks, but we're going on holiday the day after the clinic, so they're putting it off till October.

October!

That's not far away! Now I'm having a wobble. What am I going to be putting my gorgeous girlie through? Any experiences?

isw Mon 22-Aug-11 13:10:29

Hi Galena,my dd is 3 and has had 2 lots of botox and I would say it has been positve both times. The botox itself takes about 10 days to work and then physio, physio, physio for 6-8 weeks while the effects last.

Galena Mon 22-Aug-11 13:14:01

Thanks isw. I guess it's just a bit scary - up till now there's been physio but nothing 'invasive' IYSWIM? I don't feel like our feet have touched the ground since diagnosis, which I know is a good thing - we've had countless appointments since June, but it's giving very little time to sit and come to terms with stuff...

Glad to hear your DD has had good results. Hopefully DD's will be just as good.

ArthurPewty Tue 23-Aug-11 09:17:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HairyMaclary Tue 23-Aug-11 09:35:58

We've been bottomed - 4 times now. It can be done as often as it has efficacy but this deteriorates over time as the body gets used to it so the first one or two are usually the most effective. Not always though, we have v good results for all 4 times and could have carried on.

Hips, hamstrings and calves is what DS has had, first time all 3 then various combinations - always calves though as that is where he needs it most. Op is fine, v quick. A general anaesthetic which is v light and then 10 min injections, if that, most of the time is recovery from the GA. If the child is older and can be guaranteed to lie still it can be done with either a local anaesthetic or sedation. I wouldn't recommend that though!

We've had great results but one thing I would say is don't let them repeatedly offer it to you - there is a school of thought that says that use more than once or twice permanently depletes the muscles and unless the spasticity is so strong that removing all muscle mass would be a good idea then you need to work on the strengthening the muscles as well and the Botox means that can be less effective.

Where are you in the country? for some reason I think you are near us (N E Surrey) if that is the case PM me as I have info specific to the hospital you might be interested in.

Good luck. I remember the sense of dread about the first 'intervention'. It can make it seem so much more real that all the physio etc even though that is ever present!

HairyMaclary Tue 23-Aug-11 09:36:18

Botoxed - not bottomed !

Galena Tue 23-Aug-11 19:46:27

Thanks Leonie and Hairy - that's really helpful.

We're not near you, Hairy (would be helpful if we were to get some inside information!), we're in Gloucestershire. I think you're right though - it's not so much the intervention which is scary, but the realness of it all suddenly.

CMOTdibbler Tue 23-Aug-11 20:31:22

I'm having botox for my contracture in my hand in Gloucestershire in September - am hoping it will temporarily at least stop my finger being bent backwards !

Galena Tue 23-Aug-11 20:36:32

CMOT, Here's hoping (I nearly said 'finger's crossed!' grin )

CMOTdibbler Tue 23-Aug-11 20:42:36

grin if only I could do that...

Galena Tue 23-Aug-11 20:52:06

Sounds sore... It's odd when parts of the body don't do what they're supposed to...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now