Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Laptop and software for 8 year old

(6 Posts)
appropriatelytrained Sun 21-Aug-11 12:47:25

DS has provision of a laptop for work on daily keyboard skills in his statement.

However, we are not now in school and I will be HEding for the next few months.

DS has hypermobility which makes it hard for him to write and he had been given a software package with predictive text to help him work on keyboard skills.

I am trying to avoid dealing with the LA who have been utter bastards so has anyone got any ideas of lap top/software packages I could get for use at home?

Annawiththebag Sun 21-Aug-11 12:50:10

Hello appropriatelytrained,
Try Googling 'Clicker 4'... it's been many years since I have since this product so maybe now they're on Clicker 10!

Annawiththebag Sun 21-Aug-11 12:51:18

Also for keyboarding skills there is:

Type to Learn

I used to use this when supporting children to learn keyboarding skills and this software follows each session with a reward activity.

Annawiththebag Sun 21-Aug-11 12:59:48

Type to Learn may have been discontinued, couldn't find it but take a look at:

www.abilitynet.org.uk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/typing/flash/stage1.shtml

Hope your DS has fun learning to type!

appropriatelytrained Sun 21-Aug-11 13:31:06

Thanks that is really helpful. Do you need a special lap top?

Annawiththebag Sun 21-Aug-11 13:48:32

No but you will find Accessibility Options on laptop like Sticky Keys or you can slow the cursor down.

I used to have an A4 laminated picture of a keyboard and colour code the keys according to which finger you should use for each group of letters. I would then draw an outline of the child's hands on another A4 sheet and colour in each finger to match the keyboard.

Another useful tip would be to put those little coloured sticker dots on his finger nail if he doesn't mind.

It's really important to try to present the keyboarding as a fun activity, begin with 5 or 10 minutes. Finger stretching exercises also very good prior to session for example, tap fingertips on tabletop individually.

I used to find that many children with so called 'behavioural issues' co-operated extremely well with keyboarding and the structured, highly visual approach was well received by many children with ASC.

Don't know whether you can access DLA but there are many sources of funding that you may be entitled to. Check out Contact a Family website for details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now